Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sanity check on old Eddystone repair

Please can someone cast their eye over this thorny little problem:
** see attached schematic & voltage table from the Eddystone "Statesman" EB35 MkIII FM-AM receiver Owners Technical Manual***

the set is not working on AM. the voltages around the transistors TR1,2,3 (mixer, local oscillator & AGC respectively) do not seem to be making much sense, possible transistor failure but it's not obvious.... yet!

I have come up against a brick wall: the voltage on TR3's collector should be 3.5V according to the voltage table in the manual.
However, this terminal is DC-connected to the 9V DC power input line, according to the schematic. (see red traced line)

someone somewhere has made a mistake. probably me. please can anyone shed any light as to where I have gone wrong with my analysis?

Attachments

• EB35Mk3_MM0TJR_schematic.jpg
    EB35Mk3_MM0TJR_schematic.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 24
  • EB35_TR_VoltageTable.jpg
    EB35_TR_VoltageTable.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 23

davenn

I have come up against a brick wall: the voltage on TR3's collector should be 3.5V according to the voltage table in the manual.
However, this terminal is DC-connected to the 9V DC power input line, according to the schematic. (see red traced line)

that sort of indicates that the FET isn't conducting ... ie. no voltage drop across it.
maybe a faulty FET or the 1k resistor to ground off the drain has gone open cct

ok - but even if the FET was conducting, as I am sure it is supposed to do, that Drain terminal has direct copper connection to the power input terminal: if that Drain is supposed to be sitting at 3.5V, is it supposed to be dragging the 9V input line down to 3.5V too? Of course not - please tell me where I am going wrong here.