Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Running circuits with USB to Parallel adapter

Hello!

Has someone figured out a way to program the parallel port using a USB/parallel adapter.

I test my parallel port driven circuits using my old desktop computer. I would like to use my laptop, but it doesn't have a parallel port. So I would have to use an USB/parallel adapter. However, it is said that this adapters don't offer a way to directly configure the parallel port PINs.

Has someone a way to run circuits using a USB/parallel adapter?

Thanks.

what do you mean by programming parallel port ??

i think that such serial to parallel adapters are manufactured keeping the old parallel printer interface in mind . The new printers are all serially connected , eliminating the need for parallel ports

Apart from connecting such printers , and few other such devices , i think it is difficult to find any other use for the parallel port adapters due to the design limitaions of such adapters .

Last edited:
Yeah I found an old one recently and tried to use it as a virtual parallel port. It has minimal connections so that it only serves as a printer cable and not the entire port....

Yeah it stinks. If you are very adamant about having a parallel port on a comp with none, you can always buy one of these:
This one
This one
Or This one

2nd only if you have the spare room in your computer.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
And possibly only if your operating system allows access to the hardware.

It certainly may be a problem with any software created before XP came out.