Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Robotic pitch liner (white line marker)

Hi, I am designing a project prototype. The concept is to make a robotic line maker (pitch liner). A battery powered device that will spray paint lines on different types of pitches (Football, rugby, tennis, GAA...)
I am based in Ireland so GPS I don't think would be accurate enough (I may be wrong) however there is a GPS based device already for this concept. Its called the Turf Tank.
I have had a few brainstorm ideas, one being to have some sort of laser concept at each corner of the pitch to align the pitch properly. The robot could have a receiver on it that will pick up the laser to keep it in line. Once the outlines are painted, the device could start from home (one corner) and travel out the required distance for the first horizontal line and turn 90 degree and follow until it picks up the signal at the opposite side.

Not overly well explained but some advice (on software, hardware options) or other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Forget GPS - you need centimetric resolution which can cost a LOT of money.

Lasers would be good, with a 'stop' function should the beam be broken/interrupted by someone walking across it. Fairly simple to implement too.

Research 'white line follower' as the basic principles of that system will apply to a laser one.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Look at the NEO-M8P devices. One of these in a fixed location can provide correction to the other unit allowing "centimeter accurate" positioning.

Accuracy comes at a cost. That cost is either/both money and (in)convenience.