Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Restore/Repair and old Radio

I have a vintage radio that has really nice and rich sound. It had AM. FM SW and another band that I am not sure of.

Its make is NordMende FTZ-PRUF-NR. U 106

The radio works, but there is a lot of noise coming from the sliders and buttons on the front. For example, if I increase the volume, this terrible electronic noise happens. When i push the different band buttons in, same thing.

I have sprayed all these contacts with contact spray and it helped a bit, but I still get the noise, especially when increasing the volume. Once I set the volume, the signal is clear and sounds great. But in the process of getting there, there is loud electronic noise.

In one of the pics, I circled the item that moves and seems to trigger the volume noise.

So, one issue is how to get rid of the noise.

The next issue is the second slider from the front of the unit. see pic. It does not work at all, and I am not sure what it was supposed to do.

The third issue is minor. Just wondering what the best antenna would be to get for it.

Four issues

1. Electronically noise when moving dials/knobs and sliders

2. Second slider does not work- not sure its function

3. Antenna selection

4. A forth issue is that when I move the tuning knob, it works, but the display as to where I am on the dial, does not work.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4085.jpg
    IMG_4085.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 9

bertus

Hello,

It could well be that the sliding potmeter is dirty with dust collected over the years.
Try moving it all the way left and right for a couple of times (10 to 20) , when the radio is off.
When finished, try the radio and see if it helped.

Bertus

It is sometimes tricky to get the spray in where it is needed.
What spray are you using..??
Normally CRC or WD40, the type with a long applicator nozzle to get into hard to reach locations.

Second slider is a balance control for the stereo output.

Ferrite antenna such as these rarely need any external antenna wiring.
Connecting any cable to the antenna input on the rear, for example one core of a bell wire might improve distant station reception if run around the exterior of the building.
Note there is also an earth terminal there which can also do the same.
Just a word of warning here, do NOT connect to any electrical system earthing. Use a separate earth rod well away from any electrical system installs.
Not clear from the photo as to which terminal is which though as it appears to be damaged, should be 2 separate terminals.

Your fourth problem will be a broken dial cord or spring or both.
Not easy to replace in some instances due to access.
Also due to the simple nature when installed, against the complex when broken and no diagram present.
The latter is a real PIA even for those of us who have done it from time to time.

Dial cord is a specific type of thread and rarely does anything else suffice.
73's deEDD may have some thoughts on this though.

I used a spray that is meant for electronic components. I purchased it from Radio Shack a while back. I have put the radio away fr-or now, but plan to get back to it next week. I gave it a good spray and we'll see if it improved any more.

Thank-you