Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing a whole zif socket for keyboard on laptop mobo

Sorry pic isn't nice & clear,cell pic.Besides the broken zif socket the board is perfectly fine.
On pc forums they just say get a new mobo,which yeah that would be nice,quick & easy way out.But I like to learn & want to fix this.I know a regular solder iron won't fit this job.
What do I need?I bought a circuit pin to draw in what came out with the ziff socket.

What happened was the latch broke & I cut a old debit card down to fit & lock the ribbon cable in the zif socket.It worked a good while.Till I was putting back together one day while mobo was pretty warm.I pushed the card in just a lil to hard & the whole zif slid off like a hot knife to cold butter.Tried to use a regular iron & melted the zif,base that holds the solder tip touched it:eek: .Didn't sweat/burn the board though thank god
Thanks to all for helping me.I'm use to soldering bigger stuff like dc jacks etc.Want to increase my skills,this is my new challenge:D.

Oh yeah I think I found a zif socket replacement,it is the same type.Going to call them & ask if its a 26 pin if so I got a exact match!
http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/i-5087815-keyboard-connector.html

Attachments

• 1003121106.jpg
    1003121106.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 471