Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing old style black and decker toast r over Model #tro200 ty-4

my much beloved, 20+ yr old toaster oven stopped toasting and and only bakes now. I opened it up and found that a small metal part (contact? filament? Don't know what its called) snapped and the circuit no longer closes. When i tried bridging the circuit with conductive material (tin foil!) the circuit closed and the toast function worked. That said, it immediately overheated the tinfoil and started smoking.

So i'm wondering how i either replace, refashion or bridge this piece in a lasting, conductive and safe manner. Picture is below. Would very much appreciate any advice. I'm a newbie at this but would love to resurect rather than replace this toaster. Can post more/different pics if that would help.

Thanks!IMG_3946.JPG

This is one of those times when I don't think there is a 'safe' repair answer.
Using something other than the same alloy could result in a fire.
If it's nichrome, the alloy used as heating elements in a lot of toasters, the alloy acts as a resistor that heats when power is applied.
Bridging that gap with another metal (that offers no resistance value at all), just invites trouble.
It looks to me like the strip was installed intentionally to 'fuse', or 'open circuit' in the event of an unsafe condition to probably prevent a fire.
That fused-open strip may only be an indicator, of a more serious failure elsewhere in the power circuit of the toaster oven.
I do not recommend trying to salvage this unit. If it has sentimental value, is the safety of your house or family of less sentimental value?

thank you shrtrnd for the judicious info. Not being too technically minded, hadn't thought of it as being the result of a planned safety feature. Guess i'll have to say goodbye to it. Serious thanks!