Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing a scansonic internet radio, need help identifying suitable replacement screen

Hi All,

I have a scansonic internet radio that I was given from a friend it all works after making some minor repairs. The reason my friend gave it to me was that the screen no longer worked. I opened it up and replaced a number of caps that were not looking healthy but upon inspection it looks like the screen connection fried, there was a bit of oxidization around the cabled pins and a number of good crispy marks. I cleaned it up in the hope that perhaps it was just residue. This had some success whereby if you left the machine running long enough for these connections to get hot, it would eventually lightly show some display albeit with a few scan lines through it.

I decided to remove the screen and seek out a replacement screen once i had it out I took a closer look under a magnifying glass and it looks like the solder for the pins was not very healthy. I lightly put some pressure on it and they were infact broken.

Now here is the crux of my issue. I was hoping to find a ready to go replacement. My wife has expressly banned me from any real tinker time of putting together any new circuits and infact all my stuff bar the basics are locked up in a box in a storage facility all the way back home on the other side of the world.

The screen itself doesn't appear to be too hard to get hold of, its just a 2.4 inch blue text OLED. The driver board is a bit harder. I am located in the Netherlands and wondering if anyone can point me toward a ready to go replacement?

This looks like the screen http://www.panelook.com/RGS24128064WW001_RiTdisplay_2.4_OLED_overview_23080.html sans the driver board.

I have also attached some pics of the board!

Some of the part numbers on the board are

Screen Driver Cable: Solomon Systech: SSD1303T10
The Driver Board: P01215703002100A

IMG_6257.JPG IMG_6258.JPG IMG_6254.JPG IMG_6255.JPG IMG_6263.JPG IMG_6265.JPG IMG_6266.JPG IMG_6259.JPG IMG_6267.JPG IMG_6261.JPG IMG_6262.JPG

Help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Danny,

I have the same issue with my scansonic r4 radio. I found this thread via the driver board number. Please let me know if you have had any further progress with this issue?

Regards

Hi danny,
Same issue for me on Scansonic R4.
Reply from scansonic: NO spare parts.!!!!
Did you make some progress on that?
Thanks
Patrick (from france)

Hi Danny, I found this old thread from 4 years ago when I was looking for a solution for the screen problems of my Scansonic R4 radio. I am loosing more and more dots on my beloved Scansonic internet radio OLED display. I was wondering if you succeded in replacing the display in 2016? Happy to hear this. BTW, I live also in the Netherlands :)

Hi friends, you may try LCD module of BOLYMIN make BL 12864G OR BL12864G2 in the place Solomon Systec SSD1303.
Thanks for reading.

Hi Ravican1, thanks for the information for replacing the display of the scansonic R4, I wanted to ask the VCC to operate the BL12864G2 if compatible with that of the SSD1303 Solomon. sorry but the datasheet does not report this value

Same issue, having a broken display of my beloved Scansonic R4 internet radio. Before it finally broke down it was already badly deteriorated.
Did someone succeeded in repairing it?
Marc (from the Netherlands)

Hi Ravican1, thanks for the information for replacing the display of the scansonic R4, I wanted to ask the VCC to operate the BL12864G2 if compatible with that of the SSD1303 Solomon. sorry but the datasheet does not report this value

From the data sheets, I have doubts that BL12864G2 is a suitable replacement for SSD1303.