Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remove noise from TDA amplifier

I've soldered the TDA7386 with all necessary components (as advised on datasheet) onto a circuit board and it works fine when connected to a source, except for the fact that it generates quite a lot of noise. The noise is not audible when I connect my phone to the amplifier at full volume, but it is clearly audible when just connected to a wire or to my phone at a lower volume. If I connect nothing to the input terminal (that is to the capacitor that goes to pin 11/12/14/15) there is really no noise at all, but the longer the wire is that goes to the source the more background noise there is. I want to use this amplifier for my computer, so it my not have any audible noise, so how can I fix this? Maybe I'm using the wrong type of capacitors for C1-C4, I'm using film capacitors?2016-01-06 17_24_29-www.st.com_web_en_resource_technical_document_datasheet_CD00000875.pdf.png

Somebody here might find something you can do to your circuit electrically, but here's something you can try in the meantime:
Shield your circuit and input leads from outside electrical interference noise.
You may just be picking-up RFI from outside sources (you're not working under a fluorescent light are you, they generate a lot of electrical noise)
Good luck.

Last edited:
Somebody here might find something you can do to your circuit electrically, but here's something you can try in the meantime:
Shield your circuit from outside electrical interference noise.
You may just be picking-up RFI from outside sources (you're not working under a fluorescent light are you, they generate a lot of electrical noise)
Good luck.

Listening to the sounds on the wikipedia page of RFI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference) it doesn't really sound like that, I switched all my lights of and nothing changed and other amps in my home don't make any noises :(

Are you using shielded cable for the audio in?

Bob

No, I'm not. I use normal wire from input to RCA jack that connects to a RCA to 3.5mm cable that goes to my phone. I'll try some shielded wire, thanks.

So I removed the cables and jack that originally connected to the inputs (top picture), cut the RCA to 3.5mm cable and soldered it directly to the board (bottom picture). And now I have absolutely no noise at all, thank you guys!
20160106_212557.jpg
20160107_104948(0).jpg

Last edited: