Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remote flame starter

Hi Guys,

I have built a large RC water vessel. It has a fishing line on the boat which I need a way to sever this line should it become snagged.

I thought the easiest way would be to melt it, does anyone know how I could use a small butane torch or something similar (like cigarette lighter sized) that I can operate remotely off a 12 volt dc supply?

Heres the plan. The line goes through guide holes so its always in a certain spot. I mount the lighter underneath the line. Should it become snagged, the vessel can move away until the line is tight, then I use the remote control to send the 12 volts across the channel to the lighter, it lights a flame, flame melts the line and vessel is free of its line.

I am just not sure how I can start a flame without friction.

My only other option is electric scissors, but that would be very difficult to do.

Google electronic match for a one shot, or for something reusable consider a small section of nichrome wire aka toaster wire... With some simple math (or trial and error) you can match the nichrome wire gauge and length to a size that will glow red hot with your 12V source but won't burn out... With a little pressure you will cut through monofilament like a hot knife through butter...