Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Recirculate flap motor in car

Greetings Earthlings,

I have a wonderfully rare 1997 Saab 9000 Aero.The recirculate flap (powered by a small motor with two wires going to it) does not open or close at all when I push the recirculate button inside the car. There is an electrical connector, just before the motor that drives the flap. After opening the male/female connector, I apply 12 volts with jumpers from the battery and the motor moves the flap fully open and fully closed (when I reverse the leads).

When I put my voltmeter leads to the car-side of the connector and push the recirculate button I get +12 volts at the connector (and -12 volts when I push the button again). So it seams it should be working fine. But it doesn't. There are no signs at all of corrosion.

Does this have something to do with the motors requiring a certain amount of amps? I had the motor out at one time, cleaning and testing it. Testing it with leads direct from the battery, I noticed that it has a wider range of travel than the flap itself (the flap only moves 90 degrees). So how does the cars electronics system sense when the flap has reached fully closed or fully open, and thus stop giving it juice?

As you can tell, I have very little electrical knowledge.
Thanks!