Maker Pro
Maker Pro

rechargeable batteries, odd size

Hi all,

I am trying to replace the 11 battery cells (1.2V) inside a battery pack. The batteries are not standard size. They measure 1.1" x 0.66" or 28 mm x 16.8 mm. They look like shrunk C size batteries.
Anyone knows where to find new ones? The battery pack belongs to a Icom IC-A20 Transceiver.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Are they not the relatively common (almost ubiquitous) sub-C batteries?

(No need to post in the wanted/for sale section if you're just after hints as to where to purchase something)

2/3A is the cell you seek... Sometimes universally branded as 1/2A (although true 1/2A should be just a smidgen less tall)... Check the manufactures specs if size is crucial...

Last edited:
I suspect the original batteries are NiCd, but in general is it a good idea to use NiMH batteries instead? how about different capacity than the original ones?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Only use NiMH if your charger supports them. Otherwise they will not be happy.

Also note that NiMH have a higher voltage and higher impedance than NiCd. Either of these may be an issue (but often are not)

NiCad are also better at large current draws than NIMH. I learned this when I tried to replace batteries for my drill / driver with NIMH. Even though the voltage was the same and capacity was higher, the NIMH were anemic. I had to go back to NiCad.

Bob