Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reassurance on Dual Polarity Power Supply Design

I am hoping someone can shed some light on a concern I have regarding a dual polarity power supply that I am constructing. I am naturally a nervous wreck when it comes to big things such as capacitors potentially blowing up in my face. Having recently made a very amateur mistake and getting pelted in the throat by a 10uf cap wired backwards, it has caused me to be even more cautious and understanding when dealing with caps 100's of times larger. I have pretty much completed the + voltage rail of the supply, and it is working as expected. Before I wire up the the - voltage portion, I just wanted to get some clarification. I am basing this design on what seems to be a tried and true circuit, so I have no doubts it is safe. In the schematic attached, I have circled in "red" the area of concern.

Given a +24v and -24v and 2 10000uf 50v smoothing capacitors. It appears from the schematic that the potential across the 2 caps is 48v RMS. With peak voltages, it is well over 50v (the capacitor rating). Would not both caps charge to that potential? I know the answer is half... but this is where I'm looking for clarification.

Is it because of Kirchoff's Law? ex.

Vab = Vc1 +Vc2
or
48v = 24v + 24v

Also, one other question pertaining to this circuit. I am using a toroidal transformer with 2 output coils on the secondary. I have tied the middle 2 wires together for a center tap. Is it perfectly safe and reasonable to attach this center tap to ground?

Thank you so much for any help!![/B]

Attachments

• DualPSSch.jpg
    DualPSSch.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,785

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Each capacitor charges up to half the value of the unregulated power supply because they are connected to a common ground.

Beware that the common ground is -ve for the +ve side of the supply, and +ve for the -ve side of the supply.