Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RC Toy Car

Today tried to convert son's toy rc car, from 6x AA 1,5V batteries to a NiCd 12V. Dismantled it soldered contact for NiCd and ran perfectly fine for 30 mins. And now charged the battery and as soon as I connected it to the car something popped inside. 10 mins later found this, and wondering what is this and is it purchasable ?

Thank you in advance
33z718n.jpg

Last edited:
It's an IC ( integrated circuit ). Probably some kind of op-amp. Without being able to see the markings on it though would be pretty hard to find a match, but yes it would be something you could buy if you can figure out the part number. Can you see even a partial number? Can't make it out in your pic. Probably doesn't help that I'm viewing it from an I-phone. Lol.

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Lessee... you went from six 1.5 V AA cells providing 9 V DC to a NiCd battery providing 12 V DC? And you might be wondering if that was too much voltage, yes? Yes, it was too much voltage. Did you try to charge the NiCd without disconnecting it from the toy car? A NiCd charger will provide more than 12 V to charge a 12 V NiCd battery.

The battery was charged outside the car. I know it is too much voltage, but the car ran fine, thats the only thing thats bothering me, was intending to put a 9V voltage regulator.

Nope, double checking the wires before connecting. I assume the IC had it for the 30+ minutes of working on 12-14V from NiCd

davenn

I know it is too much voltage, but the car ran fine, thats the only thing thats bothering me,.....

Nope, double checking the wires before connecting. I assume the IC had it for the 30+ minutes of working on 12-14V from NiCd

why would it bother you ? it just means it took a little time for the components to fail with the excess voltage rather than failing immediately .... a common occurrence

so its most likely (almost guaranteed) that over voltage that has killed it

Last edited:
Today tried to convert son's toy rc car, from 6x AA 1,5V batteries to a NiCd 12V. Dismantled it soldered contact for NiCd and ran perfectly fine for 30 mins. And now charged the battery and as soon as I connected it to the car something popped inside. 10 mins later found this, and wondering what is this and is it purchasable ?

So, was it damaged instantly or after 30 minutes?

I kind of want to put this on HaD's fail of the week :p It's not my project though so I wont.

In any case, as mentioned previously the higher voltage is most likely the culprit... the fun part now will be replacing the blown up part and hoping nothing else is toast.

Did you perhaps 'test' the car with a partially dead battery for those 30-minutes? Then when you charged the battery and tried again with a fresh charge it died?

You can buy almost anything, but let's get some more details to make sure you don't put a bunch of work in to find something else damaged.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I don't know where the OP lives, but if there is a Radio Shack nearby they may be able to cut you a deal on toy RC cars. All but three RS stores are now closed in the Dayton OH area. The three that remain open appear to have a glut of cell phones and RC toys. There might be some bargains to be had if you can find the manager of a store and haggle a bit. Or maybe not. The RS business model may not allow any room for local initiative.

over here in the Pittsburgh region we lost 20+ stores. on a positive note i have been disassembling radio controlled cars for years (cheap RF tx and rx modules). compare normal module prices to a $5 rc car at the goodwill, but i jumped off of subject.... i may be able to help with a part number if i had a manufacturer and board revision number. manufacturer of the RC car is most important