Maker Pro
Maker Pro

radiation pattern of yagi uda antenna is omnidirectional?

If it's mounted vertically, in an X-Y sense you'd get a sort of omnidirectional pattern. Not very sensitive I agree.

Not sure what you mean by 'X-Y' sense, but horizontal or vertically mounted it will still be highly directional.

the only thing that that will give you an Omni directional pattern is a vertical whip or a vertical dipole

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

If it's mounted vertically, in an X-Y sense you'd get a sort of omnidirectional pattern. Not very sensitive I agree.

no, its still a directional array

The only thing that will give you an Omni directional pattern will be a vertical whip or dipole

You are looking at the radiated pattern in a single 2-Dimensional plane.
Even then.. the pattern radiated in any 2-Dimensional axis is not omnidirectional, It has very distinct lobes in any combination of the X, Y, and Z, Axis. (Unless you take a cross section of one of the lobes a few feet away from the antenna... but this would be like calling a Satellite dish omnidirectional because it's radiated pattern a few feet away is 'round')

Take a look on google for some 3-Dimensional representations of the radiation pattern from a yagi uda antenna.

Yeah, it was intended as a humorous reply based on the above posts. See the winky face?

Yes, the horizontal radiation pattern of a vertically mounted yagi would be sort of peanut shaped.