Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question on What Can/Can't be Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Last week I posted about an electronics education related Facebook group that I started. The post was removed and when I inquired why, I was told something about being a sales pitch.

The group is free to join and there is nothing for sale on it. I'm a private person, not a corporation, so I thought this was weird but I want to be respectful, so I'm asking this: if I want to post about the electronics group, where/how can I do that?

Just so the powers that be can verify that nothing is for sale, I'm going to link to the group here so they can check it out for themselves: [ advertising removed ]

If this is not OK for some reason feel free to remove the link but please do answer my question. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Question on What Can/Can't be Posted

Just so the powers that be can verify that nothing is for sale, I'm going to link to the group here so they can check it out for themselves: xxxxxxx

you are just advertising your own site

if you want to advertise your site here ... are you prepared to put posts on your time line
advertising this forum ??

all you are doing is spamming our site for your own personal benefit

how would you feel if I did that to your FB page ?

EDIT .... ohhhh it isn't even an open group ... what a surprise !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
you are just advertising your own site

if you want to advertise your site here ... are you prepared to put posts on your time line
advertising this forum ??

Yes, actually I would, as the goal of the group is to educate people about electronics. If you want to see the stuff on there join :)

all you are doing is spamming our site for your own personal benefit

how would you feel if I did that to your FB page ?

Members can post things on the timeline and do so all the time. Not sure how you define "spam" but as long as people aren't overly promotional I don't care.

EDIT .... ohhhh it isn't even an open group ... what a surprise !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Nope, but I let almost every one in. It isn't open because I have similar concerns as yours and will often check people's profiles out before approving them. If the profile is fake or spammy, then I don't accept them.

If I wrote a blog post about some related topic and linked back to it to help someone or provide value for this forum, is that acceptable? How about linking to the group if, say, I help someone or provide some value?

Sorry for the questions but the rules about what is and isn't an ad are a bit vague.

Ian

Administrator
Part of the problem is also that you're promoting your community on an existing electronics community, effectively sending people from our forum to your discussion site.

In fact, almost all of your 30 posts on here are either trying to get information to start your own site or posting links to things related to your site. That's not really helping the community here, it's just trying to siphon people off!

Part of the problem is also that you're promoting your community on an existing electronics community, effectively sending people from our forum to your discussion site.

In fact, almost all of your 30 posts on here are either trying to get information to start your own site or posting links to things related to your site. That's not really helping the community here, it's just trying to siphon people off!

I'm sorry you feel that way; I do not consider this forum competition and do not wish to steal your users from you.

As you guys know creating any platform like this, be it a forum, group, or what ever, involves a lot of work.

Before I went though the trouble, I wanted to verify that there was an interest. That's why I did the proper research (or info gathering) first.

For the record, I do have an electronics background and do not mind trying to help others or add value to this forum.

I also want to be respectful (we all hate spam) and that's why I'm asking these questions.

davenn

For the record, I do have an electronics background and do not mind trying to help others or add value to this forum.

I also want to be respectful (we all hate spam) and that's why I'm asking these questions.

OK so in future .... all posts helping people, WITHOUT, referring to your other site(s) will be more than welcome :)

Dave

OK so in future .... all posts helping people, WITHOUT, referring to your other site(s) will be more than welcome :)

Dave
So to be straight, it is never ok to link to any other site, even if the info may be helpful or valuable to other members?

Ian

Administrator
It's fine to post relevant links, but it's not ok to use the site as a vehicle to promote your own sites. It's quite clear that this is your intention - I saw your thread from last week and it was blatant spam:

Hello! I recently created a group devoted to teaching electronics, sharing tips, news and more. If you're interested, request to join here: URL REMOVED

That thread was removed and you were told why that was the case, and I think we've clarified it further in this thread. We get a lot of people wanting to promote things on here and we work hard to keep the site clean and free from self-promotion. I'm closing this thread now, as I think we've been quite clear on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.