Maker Pro
Maker Pro

programming language

Harald Kapp

There is no "best" programming language. Factors to take into account are to name but a few:
  • Your knowledge of programming languages - if is often easier to use a language that you know even if it may not be particularly well tailored to the purpose.
  • Availability of tools - e.g. free vs. commercial, integrated debugger etc.
  • Availability of libraries to support your project.
  • Computational speed - interpreted vs. compiled
  • Portability to other platforms.
Typical programming languages that are available on Windows are the .net languages (Visual Basic, Visual C++, C#), plain C-compilers, Python, Pearl and many more.
I think all of them support the Windows GUI and communication as per your question (some may require additional libraries or packages for easy access to the interfaces). Every language has its pros and cons. You'll have to find out for yourself which language suits your personal style and requirements best.

I think you missed the point.
He's after a 'language' that supports his peripherals. Not an IDE.

to the OP.
What kind of things are you attempting to write?
What you are asking for is pretty standard across many different languages.

Harald has a great point. Read his reply, and go from there. (FYI, USB is a different beast, and is taken care of by windows unless you plan to make a custom USB device.)

I think you missed the point.
He's after a 'language' that supports his peripherals. Not an IDE.

to the OP.
What kind of things are you attempting to write?
What you are asking for is pretty standard across many different languages.

Harald has a great point. Read his reply, and go from there. (FYI, USB is a different beast, and is taken care of by windows unless you plan to make a custom USB device.)
No point missed. Not to sound flack-y, but Power Basic is way more than a so-so IDE.
You and Harald are right about USB, though

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Which is the best programming language for windows that supports GUI, USB, RS232 & preferably parallel interfacing?
I think all of those functions are supported in Windows through the Application Programming Interface and Microsoft's Software Design Kit (SDK). Last time I looked the SDK was oriented towards the C programming language, but you are free to use whatever you like just so long as the proper calling procedures are enforced.

I think for high-speed parallel interfaces, interrupt-driven service routines written in Assembly will provide the best performance. But who wants to write another USB or RS232 UART driver when the Windows API already provides this functionality? Canned drivers for many parallel interfaces, such as so-called "Centronics" parallel printer ports are also available.

If you have custom-designed parallel interface hardware, you will probably want to write your own driver in C that interfaces to an interrupt service routine written in assembly. Well, that's how I approached the problem many Windows versions ago. Maybe Java Beans is the methodology du jur at this point in the Windows saga...

C++, JAVA, Python, C# - take your pick.How much programming experience do you have? Do you want to your program to be Windows only or portable?