Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem with Yamaha rx-570 receiver

Hi all. I have a Yamaha RX-570 receiver and i'm afraid it won't turn on when i press the power button which stops the power to the transformer powering the unit. There appears to be something wrong with the power switching circuit. I bridged the contacts out to energize the power relay and it turned on the LCD but that's it. Someone out there may have an idea of how to fix this issue.
Thanks.

Sir Hammer51 . . . . .( Is it Hammer time already ? )

Let's initially feel you out on your sleuthing ability around that units chassis components.

On that units H E W G E power transformer, its secondary has . . . . .

One RED wire that goes to terminal 9 of a PCB that then travels to connect to a designated D120 Full Wave Rectifier block that connects to a shared junction of one of its internal cathode and anode diode pair.
Another RED wire that goes to terminal 11 of a PCB that then travels to connect to a designated D120 Full Wave Rectifier block that connects to a shared junction of its internal cathode and anode of ANOTHER diode pair.

Now is a good time to take note of how those two RED wires get connected to that PCB.
Are there two separate stakes that come up and a wire is tightly multi wrapped around the square stake and multi bites into its 4 corners ? . . . .or . . .
Is the wire wrapped and soldered to the stake ? . . .or
Is the wire going into a hole in a solder pad on the PCB and being soldered ?

Two connections are left on that FWB that need connecting.
There is + the DC output of the FWB unit that is two joined cathode leads of a set of diodes.
There is the - DC output of the FWB unit that is two joined anode leads of a set of diodes.
The FWB's + output goes to the + terminal of a large E-capacitor assigned as C141 and is rated 6800 ufd @ 56VDC.
The FWB's - output goes to the - terminal of a large E-capacitor assigned as C142 and is likewise rated 6800 ufd @ 56VDC.
There is a common shared ground for these power supplies that originates as the BLACK wire from the power transformer and connects to terminal 10 of a PCB that then connects to a shared connection of the NEGATIVE terminal of C141 and the POSITIVE terminal of C142.

All in all . . . . we now have a Positive ~56VDC and a Negative ~56 VDC set of power supplies that have a shared common ground and feed the 2 POWER amplifier stages of that magnificent unit
A system that can put out 140 Pots Of Wower . . . BABYCAKES ! . . . . . or if it shorts out those supplies in the units power output stages, it can make the lights dim pop fuses breakers and have the rooster crowing in the ensuing darkness.

The game plan hereafter, is to get all of that info needed and disable the audio power output stages and then plug in and test in FM receiver mode and see if all of the metering and LEDS, bells and whistles respond on using the units other sub power supply . . . only missing any audio . . . and then we confirm if an output stage(s) has gone BAAAADDDDD !

SCHEMATIC WORKING SNIPPET . . . . .

upload_2021-9-1_10-56-57.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Formula :
To figure the cost of living:
Take your income and add a minimum of ten percent.

Last edited:
Hi de-Edd, thanks for the reply, I shall read you reply see where it takes me.
I do have knowledge of electronics. I am a qualified electrician with background in industrial control systems and now retired and completing study at TAFE in Electronics and Communications.

Your right it is HEWGE..

I forgot to mention that when i bridge the pair of +12s and POW on the power supply PCB /J167, or on the connector C103 on function PCB (1) the power relay comes on and i get power to the unit, but, it won't energize when i push the power button, if that makes sense.

I have checked continuity between the P/B and connector C319 (psw) & C316 (VCC) on function PCB(1), all good there. Shows 4.8Vdc, if that's right.

When the supply is on, a 1.2k-ohm 2W H32 resistor R230 on the main-1 PCB is getting very hot with one side at 50Vdc and the other side 16Vdc. That's as far as i've got. What do you think?
Regards.
Hammer51

Hi de-Edd
(The game plan hereafter, is to get all of that info needed and disable the audio power output stages and then plug in and test in FM receiver mode and see if all of the metering and LEDS, bells and whistles respond on using the units other sub power supply.) I did this but nothing operated but the LCD.
Hammer51