Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem Melting Solder

Hi All,

I'm having difficulty repairing a PCB. I'm trying to solder in new power leads. I've attached a picture of where I char'd the board and melted the insulation, yet the solder sits there only barely melted.

I'm using MG Chem .032" dia, 21 guage, no clean, lead free solder, which I purchased from mouser.com. I tried melting it with both the iron, and the hot air gun on a 852++ rework station with the heat turned all the way up. I know it's getting hot... the wire's insulation melted just fine.

So I'm guessing it's the lead free solder. Is this stuff just not usable? Do I need flux? Do I just need to get leaded solder? I wouldn't think that they would make lead free solder if it didn't melt...?!?!?

What is your advice?

Attachments

• melted insulation.jpg
    melted insulation.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 210

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
1) tin the wires first

2) use a hotter iron (or one with higher thermal capacity)

3) use flux (or solder with a flux core)

Lead Free solder

I'm partial to Kester 63/37, and 60/40. I clean desoldered holes and leads with acetone.On stubborn cases I use a little paste flux.

I've tried lead free solder; I don't like it. It acts different (obviously). Maybe it just takes getting use to.

It's probably not a good idea to mix solders.

What do you other guys think?

I know I'm old school, I still use a Simpson 260 meter too.

I'm with you. Whenever I work on a lead-free board I always switch the solder to 63/37 or 60/40 when repairing or replacing components. I usually remove the lead-free with a sucker or wick and slather on a little leaded and remove it again to make sure most of the lead-free is gone.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have some lead free solder, but I rarely use it.

It's not so much that it's difficult as that it just seems to look wrong.

I have some lead free solder, but I rarely use it.

It's not so much that it's difficult as that it just seems to look wrong.

That lead free crap is for plumbers! For repairs/mods low temp is almost always better and 60/40 is the best. Tin and clean your iron too. It is amazing how little solder you need with these proper techniques.

Woody

Last edited: