Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powering device with Cat5e data cable

I need to run 12v DC power through a cat5e cable. Does anyone know the maximum amps a single cable can carry? There are total of 8. I'm using 2 for door bell and I need to use the cat5e if possible so that I don't need to externally run a new cable. So I have 6 spare. It one isn't good enough could I pair 3 together?

Length of run also determines voltage drop which must be taken into account.

Just note that if this is an existing cable presently used as networking, what you are about to do could violate many countries communications laws.
Telco's tend to come down heavily on those that fiddle and damage their equipment.

Should be at least 0.5A per conductor, and can be paralleled. What is the needed current ? What length ?

The length I would say is about 2meters max. The needed current is around 600mA. So I should be ok merging two cables for +12v and 2 for ground? Or shall I play it safe and merge 3?

Length of run also determines voltage drop which must be taken into account.

Just note that if this is an existing cable presently used as networking, what you are about to do could violate many countries communications laws.
Telco's tend to come down heavily on those that fiddle and damage their equipment.

The length is no more than 2meters max. It's an existing wire used for a door bell. Only two of the eight are being used for the bell push button.

For a momentary drain use any. 1 or 2. For a permanent drain, use 2 or 3, if you no not want the extra spare pair for something extra/future.

From memory, the old days bell wire twin was around the same size as cat5 cable.
I'm wondering why you don't just "suck it and see"?

Typical spec CAT5 gauge is 24awg, or no lower than 22awg to meet spec, it should have no problem carrying 600mA a couple meters using a single conductor. If it was a very short cable or cheap/generic they might've downsized the cable to 26awg.

The bigger issue that threw me at first when you talked about CAT5 was whether you were going to use RJ45 connectors, which can be a bit finicky about current so I simply wouldn't use any.

Bell wire, at least in the US is not a specific gauge but usually closer to 20awg. It wouldn't surprise me if recent years' copper prices have caused that to drop to 22awg and/or switch to copper plated aluminum.