Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Possible to "fix" a BMW LED rear tail light?

People,

2009 bmw 328i, rear tail light has some "rows" of led lights that dont flash when I turn the turn signal lever on. The light shows a row of "dead" lights, and flashes very fast 9typical of bad "bulb" on a car's turn light.). I can remove it, and Ive "heard" some chatter on other car forums that an LED circuit can be repaired. heres the light :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Passe...37?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash

Ever heard of fixing these otherwise expensive lights?

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
They're probably just an array of LEDs. The only technical problem fixing them will be determining the appropriate rating of LED to use.

Mechanically there may be more issues. They may be sealed, the LEDs may be of an unusual size, or they might make it hard in any number of ways.

For peace of mind you probably want to re-engineer them so they won't fail again.

Can you take the failed unit apart? Can you afford to have it on the bench for a while to allow you to make repairs?

edit: The previous posts seem to suggest it's just failing solder joints.

They're probably just an array of LEDs. The only technical problem fixing them will be determining the appropriate rating of LED to use.

Mechanically there may be more issues. They may be sealed, the LEDs may be of an unusual size, or they might make it hard in any number of ways.

For peace of mind you probably want to re-engineer them so they won't fail again.

Can you take the failed unit apart? Can you afford to have it on the bench for a while to allow you to make repairs?

edit: The previous posts seem to suggest it's just failing solder joints.

Definitely, Steve. I can remove and make a project of it if necessary as I have a second daily driver. I can do this though, only with help/coaching as I never did led repair before........

Often on BMW rear light LED units water has damaged the PCB making a repair difficult, I have had this on the E61 5 series.