Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Portable vacuum cleaner repair

Hello guys,
I am trying to repair my 9v portable vacuum cleaner. The appliance works but there was a strange smell so I opened it up and I noticed that a small component is burned, I am a beginner in electronics so I don't know what it is, I have attached a photo so maybe some of you can tell me what it is.
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• WP_20131104_004.jpg
    WP_20131104_004.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 138

davenn

looks like a large ( 1 to 2 Watt) resistor

if you have a soldering iron unsolder one end and if you have a multimeter
try measuring the value of the resistor

Dave

looks like a large ( 1 to 2 Watt) resistor

if you have a soldering iron unsolder one end and if you have a multimeter
try measuring the value of the resistor

Dave

Report Post Today, 10:31 PM #3
I did that and on the 20k setting the multimeter shows 1..which I think means 1 k ohm... But is the reading correct since the resistor is damaged ? shoud I buy a 1 k ohm resistor?
Thanks for the help

davenn

OK
generally resistors will usually go either really high resistance or go open circuit ( ie. pop like a fuse)

the fact that you are getting a reasonable reading, I would cautiously say that it probably is a 1k resistor, get one in the 2W - 5W range and see how you go

report back :)

Dave

OK
generally resistors will usually go either really high resistance or go open circuit ( ie. pop like a fuse)

the fact that you are getting a reasonable reading, I would cautiously say that it probably is a 1k resistor, get one in the 2W - 5W range and see how you go

report back :)

Dave

Great, Thanks a lot :)