Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please explain the difference between battery manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I would be very grateful if other posters imparted their opinion on the difference between battery manufacturers.

The specific details in my case are that I am looking to buy some CR2032 cells for my newly acquired electronics which require them (bike computer, scales, e-dictionary) and since they cost an arm and a leg on the high street I am looking to buy them on eBay, where they are cheaper and there is more choice.

I was astonished at the range of prices on eBay for CR2032 lithium cells. One can either pay £6-7 for 10 Duracell ones, £4 for 10 GP ones or roughly £2 for 10 power-stations ones. Can anyone explain this rather large difference in price?

Is it a matter of longevity? Is a GP cell (at twice the price of a power-stations cell) last twice as long, etc? Or would I be paying for the manufacturer's name on the packaging?

I'm interested first and foremost in value for money. I suspect that if I go for the cheapest batteries I probably won't have to replace them twice as often so they will probably be better value for money, but are they more likely to leak? How likely is it even for a lithium CR2032 cell to leak and harm the equipment?

I would greatly appreciate any replies,

Many thanks,

Vladimir.

With these batteries I suspect you pay a lot more for the name than for the quality. I'd go for the cheapest.
I've never seen or heard about these cells leaking so I wouldn't be too worried about that.
Not that I've looked for it but I also never saw a test about their capacity. I'd guesstimate a no-name China brand might last up to maybe 50% shorter than a Duracell but I have no experience about it being this way or the other.
When you buy a new device with batteries included they're often no-names, but they still seem to last as long as they are supposed to.

I believe It's the same thing with mineral water/ soda. They all contain only very cheap chemicals but differ greatly in price according to make. (Yet they all do their job.)

Status
Not open for further replies.