Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Plasma TV with no response HELP

davenn

Hi
Welcome to the forums :)

when you say sound is working, I'm assuming cuz of the snowy screen, that you hear an increase and decrease in hiss only ? not actually any audio from an input, say a DVD player ?

cheers
Dave

yeah its just blue snowy screen and hissing sound only. no sound or video from the input(None whatsoever.).

I had nothing plugged in when i turned it on in the first 5 vids and i heard components making mid-high pitch noise. when i press input button, menu button, or channel buttons it will not respond. yeah the screen is snowy as well. my other lg tv(LCD), when no input has been given it shows LG logo with a message saying 'no input'. It may not be the case for all LG TVs but I thought it was kinda weird... I only say this because this TV wasn't originally mine and my friend gave it to me because it had caps blown. So I replace the caps then this madness happened : NO RESPONSE, NO DISPLAY other than blue snowy screen. Could it be the caps that i replaced? the replacement caps are 2200uf 25v and the original caps were 2200uf 10v.

I really want this tv working again, so i can put it in my living room.

please help me.

Last edited:

davenn

ok
telling me that you see the OSD On Screen Display is a good sign. it means that the unit in the main is working.

I would be looking at cables screen leads, ribbon whatever type that go from the input board area to other parts of the TV.
Is the input circuit board a separate board from the other board(s). I'm thinking its quite probably that you bumped out a cable connector whilst looking at the other problem... its really easy to do. :) initially, just go around all connectors and make sure that are all seated properly... give them a gentle push. There may be one that sorta looks like its seated bit it is quite there all the way.
Now the there may also be a separate board that has the tuner module (for the TV station tuning) on it and thats also why its not working

Did you unplug connectors to get at the board with that capacitor ? maybe you didnt put connectors back in the correct places .... also very easy to do, you wouldnt be the first ;)

Ohhh .... a 25V cap instead of the 10V rated cap is no problem :)

cheers
Dave

Yeah I double checked and everything seems to be in its place.
the my other lg lcd is working without a hitch.
Plasma still has blue/black snowy screen, hissing speakers and buzzing components..

and i just got zapped by a heatsink...
should have seen it coming. it had a yellow warning sticker on.

the tv has about 6 pvc boards..... 3 fairly large ones. i know one is the psu. but i dont know any other board.
IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

Last edited:

davenn

....... and i just got zapped by a heatsink...
should have seen it coming. it had a yellow warning sticker on.

ya wont do that again huh ! ;)

please be careful.... some electronics have a big bite!

I will have a closer look at the pix when I get home from work, in the mean time others may also respond if they see something obvious

OK so this is NOT a TV as such .... there is NO tuner module, so your signal is coming from a set top box etc via AV leads
now referring to pic #2 there appears to be 2 sets of AV inputs ( assuming both inputs and not one input and one output ?) Those 2 sets of red, white and yellow sockets

Have you tried both sets ?, I see there is also a VGA input for a computer, have you tried that ?

D

Last edited:
OK so this is NOT a TV as such .... there is NO tuner module, so your signal is coming from a set top box etc via AV leads
now referring to pic #2 there appears to be 2 sets of AV inputs ( assuming both inputs and not one input and one output ?) Those 2 sets of red, white and yellow sockets

Have you tried both sets ?, I see there is also a VGA input for a computer, have you tried that ?

On that subject, there appears to be two HDMI, are they both inputs and have you tested both?

There also appears to be multiple other video inputs (possibly outputs), VGA, YPbPr component, composite (yellow) and the coaxial... You should check out all those, if say the HDMI is the only one failing you have limited it down to that sub-circuit, etc...

Is the LED light on your main board blinking when the set is on? Or is it pretty much just staying on? On this set the logic board and main board are combined. But if your light isn't blinking in a steady manner than you need to replace that board.

the board in the middle has a very small LED and when plugged in to the wall it is red and it stays on. when i press the 'on' button it turns green and no blinking....

what is logic board and main board??
I have no idea please refer to the pictures i have attached.

thanks

The Logic and Main are the board with the LED. Unless LG has changed, the LED needs to be blinking. I will research somemore to make sure, but it still sounds like that board is the problem, if not another device that you are connected too.