Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PIC programming

I'm planning on using a PIC16F8X as a simple frequency counter outputting onto a 3 digit seven segment display. I've tried reading some tutorials on PIC programming but I just can't get my head around it. I suspect it would be a very simple programme once I understand the programming language. Can anybody help?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
I think the best way to learn new things is by doing. Start with a simpler application - flashing an LED is the usual "Hello, World!" program for microcontrollers. Once you get that going, you will have a much clearer understanding, and you'll be ready to move on to something more complicated. Perhaps not a frequency counter, but you'll get there eventually.

I would not recommend using PIC16F84 or PIC16F88. These are obsolete chips that are more expensive than newer, more powerful chips.

For example, the 16F1847 has twice the program memory, 3 times the RAM, runs at 4 times the speed from the internal oscillator, has more peripherals and costs less than the 16F88. And they are pin compatible 18 pin chips.

Bob

"I'm planning on using a PIC16F8X as a simple frequency counter"
It has already been 2 weeeeeeks for a reply from you.
This is going to take you 4.56 years to get a programming working, at this rate.