Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Philips 170S4 LCD monitor - no picture and all settings are at -1.

HI,
I know this is a long shot, but my Philips 170S4 LCD monitor is displaying the exact same problem as that described in a 4 year old thread found in this forum here.
At the end of the thread the original poster writes......

"Yup it was the eeprom,
I have managed to find an equivelent from RS.
£1 plus p&p.
I'm going to see and what philips quote me for a replacement chip.
should be interesting.
Mac."

I'm wondering wether replacing the eeprom fixed it ?. I also contacted Philips and they were less than helpful - "send it in for repair" was their only response!!. Yeah, worthwhile for a 6 yo monitor !

EEPROM in mine is ATMEL 24C16A. If this is corrupt, is there any way to wipe it clean, or would replacing it with a blank equivalent be worth trying ?. Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have had a monitor fail due to an eeprom fault.

It was fixed under warranty by reprogramming the eeprom.

Replacing it with a new (and blank) one is not likely to fix the problem if the eeprom is used to store critical information that you can't enter (or set) via the front panel switches.

I can't say what is stored on the eeprom in your monitor. In my case I think it held calibration values for the colours, and the failure cause all the colours to go really weird in a way not correctable using the built in brightness/contrast, or even separate RGB gain controls in the colour temperature settings.

edit: Yeah, and the perfect OSD was also noticeable on mine too (an Acer AL1916, for what it's worth).

Last edited:
.......Replacing it with a new (and blank) one is not likely to fix the problem if the eeprom is used to store critical information that you can't enter (or set) via the front panel switches. .....

Thanks for the reply Steve. Sounds like you're saying it's one for the scrap heap, given that it's out of warranty. Is it even worth trying a blank eeprom ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I can't say with 100% certainty that it won't work.

It probably can't hurt.

davenn

the eeprom in my 170S4 also died ~ 2 yrs ago a replacement did the trick
but as Steve hinted it needed to be a preprogrammed one, not a blank

if I was you I would be going to some local computer repairers, they may have an old 170S lying around that died from some other fault and that you are able to recover the eeprom for you unit

Dave

Last edited:
agree with davenn. I believe if the screen is good, its definitely worth fixing it. make sure you dont spend too much.