Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pellet Stove Motor will not run

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with a Breckwell wood pellet stove. This stove is 20 years old. I posted pictures of the wiring schematic , capacitor and motor. The combustion motor stopped working about a week ago. It is a 40 watt, 3uF, 115v motor. I removed the motor and the start/run capacitor. The motor (made in Germany) turns freely so it is not a bearing problem. I am not sure how to check the capacitor? I am in the process of trying to find a new capacitor which has no name. The capacitor is about the size of a D-cell battery with a wire lead coming from the top that has two wires in it and a 3/8 inch stud on the bottom. The specs of the capacitor are printing on the side, 3uF +/- 10%, 3/100I, 400V~HPF/MS, 430V~HPF/NT , 450V~HSF/NT, Up=968 V~560-8. I spent a couple of hours on the internet searching for one of these but have been unsuccessful. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Wiring Diag.jpg
    Wiring Diag.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Motor 2.jpg
    Motor 2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Motor 1.jpg
    Motor 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Capacitor 1.jpg
    Capacitor 1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Capacitor 2.jpg
    Capacitor 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Capacitor 3.jpg
    Capacitor 3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 110
It looks as if the logo is from Fujitsu, see a resource on logos by KrisblueNZ.
The stud is just to hold the capacitor. It may be metric, not 3/8.
Any 3uF 400V motor run capacitor should do the job. There are loads of capacitors of this type on the net.

A motor that has a failed start cap usually sits there making a humming noise and will then take off, if you can manually spin the motor shaft.

Looks like its a start cap (two terminal), not a start/run cap (three terminal). And the rubber cap may come off to access the terminals on top of cap. So something like this should work.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271463062491?_mwBanner=1

I believe the stud is for mounting purposes only, Not as a third terminal.
I ordered this capacitor from Granger with mounting kit and terminal guard. I assume that the terminals can be connected either way. I will just used some spade terminals with 14 gage wire.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 9.07.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 9.07.44 PM.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 86
It may not have anything to do with the motor or cap. I have repaired a few pellet stoves with similar issues and it turned out to be a problem with the control board. I've replaced triacs and have also had to replace an optoisolator.