Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Parallel connection of 2 AC/DC converters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi :)
I am working on a project with some audio and bluetooth. I ran into a little problem.
I need to have two AC/DC converters connected to the same input. but to different outlets.
1 converter AC 220V to DC 5V
1 converter AC 220V to DC 12V
The 12V is connected to an Amp and the 5V is connected to a bluetooth module.

I decided to make a parallel connection. But every time i try i cannot get any output reading.
When i try 1 alone it works fine.

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

I have this electronic Voltmeter. So you can test how high the voltage is.
When i parallel connect the to converters. the voltmeter just says 0,00 (or i shifts between 0,01 and ,02. but nvm).
When i connet a single converter it reads 5v perfect.

Harald Kapp

Just to be sure: You connect the 220V inputs in parallel, the outputs are open, as shown in your diagram, right?

If you connect only the 12V converter, the voltmeter shows 12V, if you connect the 5V converter, the voltmeter shows 5V. If you connect both converters, the voltmeter shows neither 12V on the 12V converter's output, nor 5V on the 5V converter's output?
Or do you have any connections between the two converters or between the amp and the bluetooth module on the low voltage side which are not shown in your diagram?

There is no connection what so ever. At the moment they are not even connected to anything. And yes i only connect 1 converter to the Voltmeter at a time :)

Harald Kapp

Can you show a photo of your setup? Your description does not fit the schematic diagram.

Does your voltmeter include a high voltage range (>= AC 400V)? Can you (while being very cautious!) measure the primary voltage (220V)? Is it at 220V when both converters are connected?

What voltages do you measure when no load (amp, bluetooth module) is connected to the converter?

Does your meter have a current range? Can you measure the currents on the low-voltage side with both converters connected?

What kind of converter are these? Transformers, or switch-mode power supplies?

I just tested all the things you asked about. And it was all fine. I have no idea why it is working now.
I am gonna go through it all and check for a bad connection. Maybe my soldering skill are not as good as i thought they were :D

Thanks you for the help and taking interest.

Do i have to give some kind of thump up? or close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.