Maker Pro
Maker Pro

op amp (filter)

i am new to this but i know alot about electronics. my dad says i know stuff other people take 4-5 years of college to learn but still don't understand. well..................................i need help! i need help building a light(led) organ made with op amp filters but don't know how to build one........................................can some one give me a diagram

thx..........
conductor3 :confused:

Last edited:
Do you mean a Light ( Color) Organ that turns lights on / off with the music - or something else.

Can be done with out op amps, just passive filters and SCRs, but a number of schematics I just googled show some with active filters ( op amps). This is a pretty common electronic kit as well.

Hi Conductor3.
You need to learn about filters. Filters are circuits that let a particular range of signals through and block others. The frequency of the signal (how many cycles per second it is) has to be right for the signal to get through the filter.

Different sounds have different frequencies, so different filters will pass a signal when different sounds play. At the output of each filter an electronic detector circuit detects the information that a sgnal has been passed through the filter.

In a colour organ the electronic signal representing music is arranged to enter several filters. The outputs of the filters are used to control lights of different colours.

thanks so much for your help but can you please send me a diagram with the input op amp ....................................if you know what i mean thanks again

conductor3

davenn

thanks so much for your help but can you please send me a diagram with the input op amp ....................................if you know what i mean thanks again

conductor3

what searches have you done so far ?
have you tried google ? its full of circuit ideas :)

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

I googled for "music colour LED display schematic"

...if I designed a filtering colour organ using a few opamps and a transistor and a couple of led's would you be able to build it?

(I'm thinking of buffering 1 channel into a twin-T followed by a charge pump. Then it would get inverted and fire a transistor)

Last edited:
...if I designed a filtering colour organ using a few opamps and a transistor and a couple of led's would you be able to build it?

(I'm thinking of buffering 1 channel into a twin-T followed by a charge pump. Then it would get inverted and fire a transistor)

yes that would be fine if it has 3 channels:D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
transistors can be used as filters .............you learn something new every day

We all do. :)

In this case the combination of resistors and capacitors are the parts that define the filter frequency. The transistor(s) provides gain to offset the losses in the filter.

In general, the passive components (capacitors and/or inductors typically combined with resistors) set the frequencies and amplification is added to buffer impedances or to provide gain (or less loss).