Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old Grundig TV repair

Hello, I'm trying to repair an 80s portable Grundig TV. It hasn't been used for a couple of years but I remember it didn't work well, in fact when I switched it on, the screen showed gray lines and I had to hit on the top after a few minutes to make it work.

Now it has the same problem but white smoke exited near the power button after a crackle and smell of burnt materials. I'm not a TV expert, what should I check ? is it safe to open it without the crt implode ?

Thanks

Last edited:
A visual inspection wouldn't be a bad idea, look for smoke damage burned components and then check the soldering side for bad connections.

A model number wouldn't be a bad idea, a circuit diagram would no doubt help. No the tube won't implode providing you don't catch the tube base or bend the crt pins.

For health reasons seeing you are no engineer-:
1) Remove the mains plug

2) Get a well insulated long screwdriver, connected a crock/test lead to the screwdrivers blade and the other end to the spring, aquadag coating on the tube then not touching ANY METAL slide the screwdriver under the anode cap on to the connector inside - do this two at least twice leaving on a good few seconds. this discharges the high voltage on the tubes anode appx. 18 to 24KV, that is 18,000 to 24,000 Volts.

3) Wrap a resistor between say about 470 ohm to about 2 K ohm 1 watt rated resistor to a well insulated screwdriver metal blade, connect the other end of the resistor to a test lead, this is used to discharge the main DC smoothing capacitor., which may be around 350V. Connect the test lead to the -Ve side of the main DC smoothing capacitor, then hold the screwdriver on the +Ve terminal for a few seconds, do this a couple of times. What we are doing here is shorting the main DC smoothing capacitor out via a resistor to get rid of any voltage. These are usually about 100 to 220uF at no less than 350V DC working.

The set hopefully should now be safe to handle. REMEMBER.... It's the Volts that jolt and the mil's that kill - that is the current in milliamperes.

It is imperative any component that is replaced must be identical to the one that is taken out.

Having to hit the TV to make it work would suggest bad soldered joints, which means a re soldering, these usually look dull grey or cracked.

Even well seasoned TV engineers gets a 'whack' once in a while after the set has been switched off so do be careful.

Dave

Last edited:
After a visual inspection the only cracked component is in the board where power cord enters. It's written "Wima MP 3 0,22 250~". Did it make the white smoke ?
Also there are many joints surrounded by brown rust, what's the best way to clean them ?

Thanks

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
It might be a 220nF 250V AC capacitor. If this is connected across the mains, it can be taken out for a trial.
250V AC is too low for 240V AC supply. Where are you and what is your mains supply?

Brown rust might be a surpus of flux and should not be a problem.

It might be a 220nF 250V AC capacitor. If this is connected across the mains, it can be taken out for a trial.
250V AC is too low for 240V AC supply. Where are you and what is your mains supply?
Mains here supply 230V AC. I think you're right about the capacitor but can't try out because it exploded (as you can see on the pic). Can I replace it with a 275V 220nF of same make ?

Brown rust might be a surpus of flux and should not be a problem.
Some joints have a large spots of rust around them (most likely not just flux)

If the capacitor is across the mains then 500V AC or 1000V DC would be better. There are capacitors made for this purpose, X type if I remember.
If the capacitor is across the mains, it is probably there to stop interference being fed out to the mains, it does not affect the operation of the TV.

Pentode seems to know about TV repair.
Get a schematic to find out what it is and see if the fuse has blown.

Rust will only be produced if iron is present so I doubt if it is rust.

This is the screen after I switch it on with these grey lines. Eventually after it heats up or hit it often fixes. What could be the problem ?

thanks

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 77
i've already replaced the capacitor. now there is the problem described in my last post (that existed with previous capacitor too)