Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Obtaining maximum torque from a motor

Hello,

I want to make an instrument that measures the torsion produced in a circular shaft. A motor will apply a torque on one end of the rod while the other end will be fixed. I will measure the twisted angle formed at free end and using this angle I can measure the torsion in the rod.

My question is that What type of motors I can use in my project to get torque around (100 - 150 Newton.m) and How can I get this maximum torque without the motor being burnt ??

Thanks in advance :)

Hello,

I want to make an instrument that measures the torsion produced in a circular shaft. A motor will apply a torque on one end of the rod while the other end will be fixed. I will measure the twisted angle formed at free end and using this angle I can measure the torsion in the rod.

My question is that What type of motors I can use in my project to get torque around (100 - 150 Newton.m) and How can I get this maximum torque without the motor being burnt ??

Thanks in advance :)
Probably the safest bet regardless of motor is to use some form of gearing.
This will allow you take take a relatively weak motor and produce a scary amount of torque. The trade-off will be reduction in speed.
You can find motors that are pre-attached to various gearing ratios, all you need to do is find one you want, or make one if you have access to some spare gears ;)

Well, motors are designed to run continuously, not provide a little twist and stop. This is not a good use for a motor.

Why not use a lever arm and a weight to produce an accurate amount of torque?

To get 150 Nm you could use 150 / 9.8 = 16.3 Kg on a 1m lever arm.

If you absolutely must use a motor, a stepper motor (with proper gearing) would be the best kind to use. These are designed to have a "hold torque" when not moving.

Bob

Most motors exert the maximum torque at zero rpm, for a simple reading of this is the use a spring scale and pulley, the radius of the pulley and the display on the scale will give you the maximum torque in ft-lbs etc available at the motor continuous rated current.
If this is a fixed load and you require to know the break-away torque, either use the above method or a small torque wrench.
M.