Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noob trying to replace android tablet battery

Hi guys,

I've opened up my android tablet to replace the battery and it was held down by tape (duh!)- this in itself was not a problem as i simply removed it, soldered the wires of the other battery out and soldered the new ones in. Question is: what kind of tape should iI use to stick it back down again? Is PVC insulation electrical tape or is there is specific type of tape for this kind of job?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I've opened up my android tablet to replace the battery and it was held down by tape (duh!)- this in itself was not a problem as i simply removed it, soldered the wires of the other battery out and soldered the new ones in. Question is: what kind of tape should iI use to stick it back down again? Is PVC insulation electrical tape or is there is specific type of tape for this kind of job?

Thanks!
I never thought to ask. If it's sticky and non-conductive, I'd use it.
I'm curious to see if there are any products to avoid, and ideal products to use.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
The reason I asked is that removable batteries in mobile devices usually have at least three connections, because the battery assembly normally includes some circuitry. Some possible functions of this circuitry are: (a) monitor the battery temperature during charging to detect end-of-charge and avoid overcharging; (b) keep track of the approximate level of charge in the battery; and (c) keep track of the number of charge/discharge cycles and/or the age of the battery.

If this tablet's battery is not supposed to be user-replaceable, this information will be stored somewhere inside the tablet's circuitry, and the tablet will probably still think the battery is old, even if you replace it with a new one. And it will treat the battery as if it's an old one. This may or may not cause problems; I don't know. I'm just bringing it to your attention.

I suggest you Google "replace battery in" (without the quotes) along with the brand and model of your tablet and see whether others have done it, and what problems, if any, they had.