Maker Pro
Maker Pro

noob need help identifyng resistor

hi all,

I've a water damaged PCB board. I'm trying to replace burnt components but got confused on these 2 resistors. I've goggled (http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistor_color_code.php) and found reference on how to interpret resistor color bands.
resistprr34andr36.jpg

Can somebody please confirm that it is a 0.5 ohm for r34 and 160 ohm resistor for r36.

I cant measure the value using a multimeter as both the resistors are burnt being recognition.

Last edited:
You're correct on the values. That last black band on the 160 Ohm resistor indicates a 250ppm temperature coefficient. Obviously the photo is not of the damaged board, just one like it.

Last edited:

davenn

and if it is the water damaged board, why do you think these 2 resistors are burnt ?

until told otherwise, I will side with KJ6EAD's assumption :)

Dave

thanks Kj6EAD and dave

to answer Dave's question; water was dripping on Vr1 and somehow shorted Vr1, R34 and r36. All three components were burnt and black in color due to water shorting Vr1.

R35 looks okay but I opted to change it anyway.

The picture was from 2008, before I installed the PCB.

Although VR1 is burnt but I can make out the first 4 letters which are LM31
so I believe its a LM317T voltage regulator.

Thanks!

davenn

ok no probs :)

did you actually try measuring the values of R34 and 36 ?
I have, over the years, seen some pretty charred resistors that are still very close to their nominal value. Tis always a good backup on their values when it comes to replacement :)

Dave