Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbie trying to delay a switch signal.

I've got a very simple 12vdc circuit that I'm trying to add a delay of one of the switches signals to. Basically my circuit runs through a manual toggle switch for power on/off, through a small normally closed contact switch, powering a small electric motor. If the contact switch is tripped, the motor stops running, very simple.

I want to add a delay to the signal of the contact switch, essentially so that the switch has to be depressed for at least 1 second before it will cut off power going to the motor. The switch will get 30-40 contacts for a fraction of a second before it is tripped and held, I want to eliminate the rapid and sudden on, off, on, off signal to the motor.

I've been researching 555 timers, but I haven't done anything with 555s since school over a decade ago, so I'm having trouble even understanding the terms describing what the different modes and configurations are doing.

Thanks for any help folks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
You should probably start by googling for switch debouncing circuits.

You don't mention whether it's signal or power running through the switch, but I suspect it's power. In that case your debounced switch will have to also drive a transistor or mosfet to apply and remove power to the motor.

From the sound of it, the motor stop.starts are obvious to you. This means that the problem is something more than switch bounce which is all over in milliseconds and neither you nor the motor would notice.

Maybe your switch is faulty?