Maker Pro
Maker Pro

new WAGO 221 spring loaded terminals a disaster

Hello, well I could say that this is what you get when German company gets sold to Chinese.

Now WAGO 222 spring loaded terminals are very good, the springs are so strong that it is not possible to put wire trough it if you disassemble the connector. You might manage to get one spring open, but not 2 as in dual connector.

On the other hand, the new 221 transparent spring loaded connector is a disaster and here is why:

wago 221 222 comparison.jpg

1. Springs are weak on WAGO 221
2. Contactor is thinner and wrong shape therefore you get 1 point of contact for solid wires
3. Springs and contactor connect only trough the wire therefore you do not have additional point of contact

wago 221 contact.jpg

See image notes for more detail.

wago 222 contact.jpg

Above you see WAGO 222, I could not fit both springs as they are so strong. !

1. With WAGO 222 you get 2 points of contact on the contactor, and 3rd from springs.

P.S. The wire in new transparent WAGO 221 spring loaded terminals have much room to wiggle as holes are larger, and it is possible to pull the wires almost effortlessly. Also WAGO has special grease to protect wires if you are in moist environment, also suitable for aluminum wires.

I've got the same problem with small C&K Switch slide switches.
We've used the same C&K slide switches made in the U.S. for 20 years.
The recent replacement ('EXACT' replacement) from C&K are now made in China and are disturbingly unreliable.
A lot of the Chinese stuff is getting better, but quality control appears to not be in the Chinese lexicon.