Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Solution to Control Engine Speed

Hi,

We are running some test sequences on our machines where we need to change engine speed for each test sequence from the software without having foot throttle. Unfortunately, we don't have CAN controlled engine speed option available on our engine control unit.

We have a PVG voltage output on our machine controller. It is Voltage output and I thought I could control engine speed by connecting the PVG output signal from the machine controller to throttle input on the Engine control unit. But PVG voltage has more noise causing engine speed unstable.

Any other solutions are appreciated. Thanks.

I imagine the first approach would be to filter out any noise as all the required hardware is possibly already in place.

Hi
I have build for my company Controllers that takes a 0-10V analog signal from an Automation Controller/test Controller and translate it into CAN control signal or Throttle Pot(Pedal) Signals 1 and 2 to your Engine ECU ,So in effect your PVG signal can be translated to a dual Throttle pot signal for your Engine ECU, your Engine ECU then increase or decrease the RPM as you request by your PVG signal send me a PM I can help with that
This method allows you to manually run test RPM points or fully automated from your Automation Controller,You need to simulate/emulate both Throttle Pot signals as the ECU uses the result after subtracting the 1 signal from the other one.This a Safety requirement for ECU's.
Each Engine ECU has it own distinctive Curve of the TP1 and 2 signals with a very small tolerance window ,the ECU needs to see the expected signals on TP1/2 if not it goes into Limp mode and it will not rev up/unstable RPM with MIL lamp ON
What you need to tell us is what ECU /Engine you are using and the ECU Firmware and Build number,

You wrote
It is Voltage output and I thought I could control engine speed by connecting the PVG output signal from the machine controller to throttle input on the Engine control unit

This is not possible directly as you need to emulate the slope and that translation between 0-100% pedal positions and that is on both TP signals and as you might know TP1 is not the same values as TP2 This is an example TP1/2 signals of an Cummins ECU (Delpi)
P1.jpg
This was for a Cummins Diesel on a Test Bed/dyno system

P1.jpg

How such an Translator look

P1.jpg

Last edited: