Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help getting old hi8 tapes converted

I have a Canon ES5000 hi8 camcorder that plays the hi8 tapes. It needs repair and I'm looking for anyone out there with advice. I am trying to convert my 50+ HI8 tapes to DVD and just need to get this working so I can transfer them to my computer.

The problem is when I put in a hi8tape and push the cartridge close, the motor will only lower the tape 1/4 inch and then bring it back up and eject. The tape is not the problem because I have tried several different ones and they all behave the same way. The loading transport system seems to "hang up" or "catch" when it lowers about 1/4 inch then it raises up the tape and ejects it. When I close the transport system without a tape in it, it lowers and closes down fine.

I have asked some experts what the problem may be and one suggested that the mechanism alignment (mode switch) and a little gear needs fixing. Another suggested cleaning and lubrication. Any suggestions?

As a basic answer, all the suggestions you were told are accurate. There may also be some type of failure in the servo controller circuit area, or in the logic control. These types of units are not easily serviceable without the proper tools and training.

Canon and these camera companies are very proprietary about their products. Most likely they will not sell service manuals or parts to any non authorized service reps. Servicing these cameras out of warranty can be fairly expensive. If the camera is considered obsolete they may refuse to service it because parts may no longer be available.

In your case, I would look around for a place that does professional transferring of tapes to DVD disks. A professional transfer place would have much better equipment than you can afford to have at home, and therefore be able to give you a much better quality transfer than you can have using your camera as a playback source.

Jerry G. :cool:

I have a Canon ES5000 hi8 camcorder that plays the hi8 tapes. It needs repair and I'm looking for anyone out there with advice. I am trying to convert my 50+ HI8 tapes to DVD and just need to get this working so I can transfer them to my computer.

The problem is when I put in a hi8tape and push the cartridge close, the motor will only lower the tape 1/4 inch and then bring it back up and eject. The tape is not the problem because I have tried several different ones and they all behave the same way. The loading transport system seems to "hang up" or "catch" when it lowers about 1/4 inch then it raises up the tape and ejects it. When I close the transport system without a tape in it, it lowers and closes down fine.

I have asked some experts what the problem may be and one suggested that the mechanism alignment (mode switch) and a little gear needs fixing. Another suggested cleaning and lubrication. Any suggestions?

Converting hi8 tapes to DVD

Thanks for the post. That is what I've been hearing - that it is not worth fixing my old camcorder since parts are hard to find and the electronics are difficult to get to.

The cost for me will be too much to have all my hi8 tapes converted (50-60) professionally. Most services are asking $20 a tape.

I'm going to test out a product called Dazzle Video Creator Plus HD. I still need to find a working inexpensive used camcorder to play back my tapes and see what kind of quality it will produce. Has anyone been through this? Is there a significant difference between a professionally made transfer vs using Dazzle?

Thanks!