Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need 110V AC to 12DV Converter a tiny one

Hopefully someone can assist me with some issues i am having with our relays. I am a supplier of small wireless electronic relays that can be controlled by WIFI VIA mobile app. for like home automation lighting controls, doors etc.. Anyways, all of my kits run off of 12v DC and have a load of 10A 12v AC on the relay. I need to find a "tiny" AC current from the wall to 12v DC so the relay board will always be powered. I have tried using a battery and that works for a couple hours and goes dead. The relay has built in toggle feature so this would be awsome if i can run off the power and control everything from the dish washer to heating/cooling panel. Any direction or manufacture someone might know of who can help? Any advice would be great! Here is the link to the relay with specs if needed Single Channel Relay

Attachments

• RR1LN_SG1_Single_Channel_RF_Relay.gif
    RR1LN_SG1_Single_Channel_RF_Relay.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 88
  • relay-controller-instructions.jpg
    relay-controller-instructions.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 121
You can crack open wall warts like this all day long and pull the board out...

And if 500mA works, it should, as those relays on those remote boards draw about 50-100mA @12VDC on average when the relay is activated, much less in standby, you can pull the boards out of these, I doubt you will find a cheaper alternative...

Last edited:
Agreed, hopefully it will fit inside walls when i remove the sockets. Everyone on here has been a great help and im glad to see others enjoy electronics. Keep up the good work guys!

I wouldn't exactly call that 'tiny' but if it works for your needs great...

Agreed, hopefully it will fit inside walls when i remove the sockets. Everyone on here has been a great help and im glad to see others enjoy electronics. Keep up the good work guys!

Just an FYI, it's almost certainly against code in most localities to put it in a junction box... Also a standard US duplex/junciton box is 1 1/2" inches in depth (they do sell 2" deep ones, and on the flip they sell 1 1/4" ones, but the standard is 1 1/2" so they can be mounted back to back in the wall with a 1/2" joining coupling... You do gain a marginal amount with the drywall trim ring though...

A standard duplex socket is 1" or more in depth, you 'might' have about an inch behind it not much room behind the socket when you have to stuff the wires in there as well...

The device you linked is about 1 1/8" thick and is likely in excess of the space you have, or will be really tight bulging fit...

Im simple... i was just going to pull the box out of the wall and tuck the power supply above the box. This way i don't have to cram anything in and hopefully reduce the code violation. I will update with a video when i get it working:)

Just an FYI, it's almost certainly against code in most localities to put it in a junction box... Also a standard US duplex/junciton box is 1 1/2" inches in depth (they do sell 2" deep ones, and on the flip they sell 1 1/4" ones, but the standard is 1 1/2" so they can be mounted back to back in the wall with a 1/2" joining coupling... You do gain a marginal amount with the drywall trim ring though...

A standard duplex socket is 1" or more in depth, you 'might' have about an inch behind it not much room behind the socket when you have to stuff the wires in there as well...

The device you linked is about 1 1/8" thick and is likely in excess of the space you have, or will be really tight bulging fit...

Oh here is a converter and relay work project i did which is basically the same but as i said will actually be installed in the walls to control sockets and lighting. I have some small chips but i don't like the design and needed something with a small enclosure.

Don't quote me on this as I don't have the National Electrical Code in front of me, and it's been years since I did it professionally, but I'm 99.9% certain that mounting it outside the box in a sealed wall is a violation...

I do know for a fact, mixing low voltage and mains voltage in the same box is a clear violation....

I'm not going to tell you what to do, as I have seen people do the worst that made me crinch, there are building codes for a reason they are not to simply annoy the homeowners, it's a safety based set of rules... Not to mention the obvious dangers like fire, an insurance company can void insurance if they discover that a violation caused the fire for a double whammy...