Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My GTX 780 capacitor is burned is there a way to fix it?

So my GTX 780 has a burned capacitor and it doesn't show any signal from the monitor, sometimes it shows a blue screen of death, last time when it work it has artifacts for example like green lines. So i wonder would i be able to fix it?
Is there a way like using the heat gun/baking method? Do i have to remove the old capacitor and solder it with a new one?
The gpu is a Zotac GTX 780 amp edition.
Someone said, "It's a tantalum capacitor. if you can remove it, you can replace it, maybe with another type of tantalum capacitor, not surface mounted one." What type of tantalum capacitor should I use? can I use a different type of capacitor?
Thanks in advance!

Harald Kapp

Do i have to remove the old capacitor and solder it with a new one?
Definitely.
What type of tantalum capacitor should I use?
Same capacity as the old one, voltage rating at least the same or higher. Must fit the PCB land pattern.
can I use a different type of capacitor?
Can't be said with certainty. If you get a ceramic capacitor with matching ratings it will probably work. An electrolytic capacitor will probably be too bulky and have too high ESR, not suitable.

davenn

If you get a ceramic capacitor with matching ratings it will probably work.

Tantalums are polarised, ceramics are not ;)

What type of tantalum capacitor should I use?

the same type ... is there anything left of the old one to identify it's value ?
Do you have a schematic for this unit ?, have your tried searching for one online ?

@73's de Edd has an uncanny knack of finding obscure schematics, lets see if he responds to my call :)

Sir samwitch . . . . .
capacitor . . .capacitor . . . CAPACITOR . . . CAPACITOR !
Whassamattahyou ?
I don't sees no'se capacitor . . . . You thanks that thar is only one of 'em in that thar unit . . . . . give us both, a mid and closeup picture of it !
Until you do . . .you're jes' working with one mass of blind assistors . . .with you being their potential assistee.

73's de Edd . . . . .

Last edited: