Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multi power supplies housing

Ive constructed a large modular synth and due to various modules from different manufactures there's a few different power supplies needed. For instance :-

+12 / -6
+12 / -12
+15 / -15
+ 5
+9

Quite a problem !

What the best method to solve this problem ? At the moment there's boxes and wires everywhere.
I would like one neat boxed housing with various lead outlets ...but how to do it ?

davenn

Ive constructed a large modular synth and due to various modules from different manufactures there's a few different power supplies needed. For instance :-

+12 / -6
+12 / -12
+15 / -15
+ 5
+9

Quite a problem !

you haven't stated another very important factor the current required for each of those rails

It's quite feasible generate the +9 and +5 from the +12V rail and the - 12 and -6 from the -15 V rail

Of course, I forgot to mention current demand.!
Thanks for replies......appreciated.

There's only a demand on the +12 /-6 supply and I have Power-0ne units for this which are more than adequate. These sit within the synth cabinet.
It's the 'nuisance' odd modules requiring dual 15 v dual 12v and also 9v and 5v ..current is negligible for these. At the moment I have 4-5 separate psu boxes for each supply which is a mess.
I wondered if their was a link anywhere showing how to achieve several different outputs from
say one large transformer . As mentioned current for these is negligible but they need to be very stable and clean supplies.
So ....a case with 4-5 leads coming out with different supply voltages .?
It's the actual circuit type diagram etc I need to see..

davenn

Thanks for replies......appreciated

......................I have Power-0ne units
and you still haven't told me what I asked for

do you really want help or am I just wasting my time ? !!

I am unlearned in electronics (which is why I am here) ...or rather was here...I'm gone.

I also thought I did answer your question

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a +/- 15V supply rated at around 2A

Use the 78** and 79** series regulators to drop (sequentially) the 15V to 12, 9, 6, 5 whatever.....

i.e. the output of the 15V rail feeds the 12V regulator that feed the 9V regulator that feed the 5V regulator. The 78-series are for the positive rail, the 79-series for the negative rail.

The IMPORTANT PART (which was asked and you haven't yet supplied) is the ACTUAL current requirements for each supply voltage. This is CRITICAL to the correct answer and, far from being 'bad manners' is the most salient part of the reply.

Your understanding may be lacking (which we accept) but your critical response to a pertinent question is even worse.....

Do you have an estimate for the peak current needed for *each* output voltage? Do not assume that a module that is labeled as needing +/- 12 V draws the same current from both supply voltages.
It's the 'nuisance' odd modules requiring dual 15 v dual 12v and also 9v and 5v ..current is negligible for these.
For negligible current, a zener diode works well.

ak

And then I remembered that when you are creating power you use + and if you are using power you create -, suppose that for the negatives you could use a voltage divider circuit also... there seems to be a notation in the books on "dedicated" power and why you have to use it a certain way, but I am not that far in electronics yet....

And then I remembered that when you are creating power you use + and if you are using power you create -,
What in the world does that mean?

Also, this thread died over three years ago. If you have a similar question, it is better to start your own thread, and reference this one with a link if necessary.

ak