Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MP3 (iPod) speakers

I'd like to start building novelty iPod or mp3 player speakers out of stuff people tend to throw away. First thing I'd like to do is make one from a pop/beer can. The idea came to me when we were camping. How cool would it be to have a little beer can speaker to hang out by the fire to?

Not sure where to start, since I am more mechanically inclined than electrical. If I throw a 2" speaker into a pop can and hook it to my iPod's Aux jack - would this be all I need? Or would I put a small amp in it also?

Op amp? 9V battery?

Cheers all,
Marc

With a loudspeaker, your battery will not last very long, unless you have a big battery. I guess you could always get another pop can, fill that with C or D type batteries and sit it next to the amplifier. Old portable radios use plenty of C and D cells and get good battery life, even if the volume is never going to blow your ears to bits...

If you have, say, 8 batteries, each outputting 1.5V, this would give you 12V.

You will need a voltage converter to reduce the battery voltage down from 12V to, say 5V. I think this should give you enough volume for your speakers.

You will need to buffer the output from your MP3 player as this is used to driving tiny headphones.

In fact, we have electronic kits to do the voltage converter and the MP3 booster for you. See our website (the clue is in my name)

Let me know

Bill Naylor
Electronworks - electronic kits for education and fun

With a loudspeaker, your battery will not last very long, unless you have a big battery. I guess you could always get another pop can, fill that with C or D type batteries and sit it next to the amplifier. Old portable radios use plenty of C and D cells and get good battery life, even if the volume is never going to blow your ears to bits...

If you have, say, 8 batteries, each outputting 1.5V, this would give you 12V.

You will need a voltage converter to reduce the battery voltage down from 12V to, say 5V. I think this should give you enough volume for your speakers.

You will need to buffer the output from your MP3 player as this is used to driving tiny headphones.

In fact, we have electronic kits to do the voltage converter and the MP3 booster for you. See our website (the clue is in my name)

Let me know

Bill Naylor
Electronworks - electronic kits for education and fun

Thanks Bill! I will check you out, I appreciate your help in getting me rolling in the right direction.

Marc in Calgary