Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Monster 5-16V 18A Regulated Power supply

Just finished it this day, folks; was waiting for that voltmeter from eBay to come. This is no big deal - just a potentiometer, two resistors, some wiring and desoldering work, and it's done. No active components at all with this hack - no external ICs nor regulators and all that stuff.

I have tested the voltage drop on load, too. Doesn't matter whether the load is 1A or 10A, the drop is no more than 0.15-0.2V than the nominal voltage.

And yep, no big heatsinks, just original circuitry that can be found in an ordinary ATX supply.

So, enough talk, watch and see for yourself folks. Tell me what you think afterwards. And then, go back to your heater elements you dare to call "LM 317 voltage regulators", not mentioning calling that a "lab supply" (combined with a large heatsink :D )

//And yes, its short circuit proof! :p

Last edited:
More Video

Where did you connect the pot and resistors to? I'd like to re-purpose an old ATX supply myself. How about some exploding cap and frying resistor vids?:D

Hehe, I was actually thinking about making some old electrolytics go asplode with this PSU, too... :D

As for the schematic/details of operation, I have been informed of the newbies, rookies and god knows what not experienced with electronics lurking around this forum, and this remake is a little bit unsafe, too. I'll publicly explain the details only if the mods post here with an agreement to do so from their side, as I don't want no huge red warnings on every thread of mine, just because it deals with voltages above twelve or twenty-four volts. Sorry.

Then again, complete n00bs should be just gazing at it, and not constructing it at all. For them, the LM317 way of regulating is their way to go, with the "regulator" mounted on a metal heatsink as big as your ordinary doghouse. Actually YouTube is full of that stuff. Plus, there have been very few similar ATX supply re-makes, however more unstable, since the author did not know what he was doing exactly.

I don't want a person who cannot distinguish electrolytic caps from foil ones to be happily working on this.

I Lttle Knowlege Can Be...

I hear ya. I've seen some pretty basic questions here. I did manage to find some tips on what you did with some determined Googling so I'll do some experimentation. Your comments about heaters hit home. My little heater seems to warm up with the least little provocation. I want MORE POWER (Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor):D:D