Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Monitoring motor load in a circuit

Hi - I'm trying to create a simple Arduino controlled motor circuit to open and close some venetian blinds. I have a little 6V gear motor from pololu I was thinking of just timing the high output to my motor for the amount of seconds it needs to open. I will have to add a h-bridge in at some point so it can also do it in reverse.

My question: Is it possible to monitor the amps used by the motor to spot for the end limit of the blinds opening, or possible obstacles preventing the blinds from opening. My theory is, if something is making it hard to open, or it reaches the end point where it can open no more - the motor will try to work harder against the increased torque resistance and pull more amps - is this correct? If i'm watching for amps could see the spike and cut the power a bit like a limit switch?

Perhaps there is an even better way to achieve this without buying a more expensive prevision motor like a stepper.

You could use a micro switch to detect end of travel this then kills the power automatically. Other than that then yes a current sense opamp or something like that could be used.
Adam