Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MIT offers free undergraduate level electronics course

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Go here.

They reckon it will take up about 10 hours per week and it runs from March until June.

From their web site:

The course introduces engineering in the context of the lumped circuit abstraction. Topics covered include: resistive elements and networks; independent and dependent sources; switches and MOS transistors; digital abstraction; amplifiers; energy storage elements; dynamics of first- and second-order networks; design in the time and frequency domains; and analog and digital circuits and applications. Design and lab exercises are also significant components of the course. You should expect to spend approximately 10 hours per week on the course.

It has some prerequisites:

In order to succeed in this course, you must have taken an AP level physics course in electricity and magnetism. You must know basic calculus and linear algebra and have some background in differential equations. Since more advanced mathematics will not show up until the second half of the course, the first half of the course will include an optional remedial differential equations component for those who need it.

Looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Naturally, anyone doing this course should NOT expect to find any easy answers in our homework help area, but you already knew that.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Perhaps you can take a quick look at the sample examination papers for an "AP level physics course in electricity and magnetism" and see if you understand it.

I think this is more information.

Since they offer help with the differential equations (I stopped doing math at university when I realised I was doing it rote -- and that was the differential equations) that part should be easier. I guess you still need to know *some* calculus.

I just tried the sample test and only got 77% in the multiple choice. I think I need to revise some of that stuff :eek:

I took beginning electronics in High school for about a week then they closed the class because circuit boards vanished and were replaced by ICs. Nowdays you only design the circuit, not the motherboard and schematics. sorry guys... can't help much! heh heh ha ha ha ahha ahhahhhha ROLTFLMAO!

I would love to take this course, but the spring time of the year is very busy for me. I got a few projects starting up and though 10 hours is doable, the other 10 I would need to familiarize myself with the AP physics and differential equations is just to much for my plate. :(

I took beginning electronics in High school for about a week then they closed the class because circuit boards vanished and were replaced by ICs. Nowdays you only design the circuit, not the motherboard and schematics. sorry guys... can't help much! heh heh ha ha ha ahha ahhahhhha ROLTFLMAO!

:rolleyes:

Bob

I design circuit boards and schematics all day long. I don't get your point.:confused:

Free learning from a respected institution and a certificate - kick ass! :D

Signed up. I might need to get up to speed up a wee bit on some of that background but my 156 IQ has never let me down yet :cool:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
my 156 IQ has never let me down yet :cool:

I've got a brain the size of a planet.

But all the diodes down my left hand side ache.

Do the test on the site I linked to. It will give you a pretty good idea where you stand on the stuff (other than math) that is required. The multiple choice part took me about an hour.

It's pretty much high school physics AFAICT.