Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microwave sparking from side panel

Hello!

Yesterday, our microwave (maybe 2-3 years old?) Began sparking and behind a side panel (there was also smoke).

I did some internet research and found a video saying I might need to replace the wave guide, but I removed the side panel and I'm worried it might be the magnetron itself.

I'm trying to upload pictures here, but it keeps saying "there was a problem uploading your file" (either a .jpg or .png file types).

I'm hoping it can be repaired. Thanks in advance for any help.

Keep upload pics to under 300kb in size.

Most likely the magnetron is dud now - I hope you're aware of the thousands of volts used in a microwave??? And the filter capacitor that can hold a charge after the power has been removed?

Thanks for the response. I've resized the images and that worked.

Yeah, I haven't tried to remove anything or touch anything electrical. It is currently unplugged to the kids don't accidentally use it.

Hopefully someone who knows more than me can give me an idea if it would even be worth calling a repairman.

Attachments

• microwave1.jpg
    microwave1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 11
  • microwave2.jpg
    microwave2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 12
Not sure where you are located, but most smaller appliances are not worth repairing due to cost of labour, and the availability/cost of parts. Some of the higher price name brands may be economic to repair?
Suggest contact the local service agents for the microwave, or an independent repairer, for advice.

Here in New Zealand we have a law called the Consumers Guarantee Act(CGA) which helps to protect consumers from products and services that fail outside the manufacturer's warranty period.
In your case you would take the microwave back to where you bought it and argue that it failed before what would be considered to be the "reasonable life" of a microwave. 2-3 years for a microwave is not long, so I would expect them to repair or replace it free of charge, or give you a credit for the initial rice you paid. This is why you should always keep receipts.

In your case you would take the microwave back to where you bought it and argue that it failed before what would be considered to be the "reasonable life" of a microwave.

Maybe that is the law but good luck with that......somethings are simply just not worth the effort.
I could almost guarantee that "Where you bought it" would say, out of warrany or at best, here is a phone number.

Actually, this law does work quite well here in NZ.
The shop can't just say, "out of warranty, go away".
They also can't just palm you off to the manufacturer or importer. They sold it to you, so it is their responsibility to rectify the issue.

Good to know.
Shame the same does not apply in Aus.
Over here, after it's sold, they don't want to know you, even for legit warranty, just referred to a phone number (at best).

Slightly off topic...... car battery 3 year full warranty.....doubtful condition after 2 years.....installer (nope, nothing to do with me...go to Century)
Century (Nope...you have to take it out of the vehicle)....guess what that entails with modern vehicle(memory backup requirement)
No problem if it's buggered but until it's out.....Nope.

And some vehicles now also have to have the battery brand, part number, rating, etc programmed into the ECU when changing the battery.
Not a five minute job any more.

Good to know.
Shame the same does not apply in Aus.
Over here, after it's sold, they don't want to know you, even for legit warranty, just referred to a phone number (at best).

Slightly off topic...... car battery 3 year full warranty.....doubtful condition after 2 years.....installer (nope, nothing to do with me...go to Century)
Century (Nope...you have to take it out of the vehicle)....guess what that entails with modern vehicle(memory backup requirement)
No problem if it's buggered but until it's out.....Nope.
There is a consumer law similar to the one in NZ here in Australia, which concerns the expected life of an appliance. This is to stop manufacturers telling you to get lost if your appliance fails a month after the warranty period. I have returned a printer that had died after 18 months of a 12 month warranty, and the retailer refunded me, no questions asked, they did not bat an eyelid. You can contact Consumer affairs in your state for more info.

There is a consumer law similar to the one in NZ here in Australia, which concerns the expected life of an appliance. This is to stop manufacturers telling you to get lost if your appliance fails a month after the warranty period. I have returned a printer that had died after 18 months of a 12 month warranty, and the retailer refunded me, no questions asked, they did not bat an eyelid. You can contact Consumer affairs in your state for more info.

Yes, good luck with that. Not worth the effort.
They have no teeth what-so-ever when it comes to disputes.
My guess is in your case the squeaky wheel received some oil.

If you decide to dump it; remove the plastic part where arcing occurs, clean all and any splashes deeply and the soot that may favor the arcing path and retry. If cured, perhaps a clean proper material can replace it. Running without the plastic is fine; just becomes harder to clean crevices. Come back with findings.