Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microcontroller not recognized by pc [HID]

Hey,
So i am trying to create a 'rubber ducky' without spending 45€
So i ordered 3 microcontrollers
1 digispark and 2 fake arduino pro micro (stm8s103f3 STM8)
So i plug the fake arduino pro micro's into my pc, 1led stays on the other led next to it blinks, if i hold the button on the board it stops as long as i hold it)
So it gets power, but it doesnt show up in devicemanager or arduino as COM0 or something.
both of them do the same thing

The digispark does get recognized, but it disconnect after 1 second, then reconnects then again disconnects etc
And i get a error "Windows does not recognize this usb device"
it does show up in device manager but without any name or id because it doesnt get recognized
the led on the board does light up

What am i doing wrong, did i order non-HID-capable boards?
Thanks in advance :)

The pictures of the board:
20170205_142004.jpg 20170205_142050.jpg

Those stm8s103f3 STM8 boards only draw power over the USB port. They can't be programmed via USB. You need to solder a header to the programming port on the short side and use a programmer. Luckily, the programmers for these boards are extremely cheap. Just check ebay.
They will also require you to use an IDE different than what the Arduino uses, because I don't believe the Arduino IDE supports that family of microcontrollers. They're not really clones, as you said. They're completely different.

As for the Digispark, it likely needs to have drivers manually installed to work.

That being said, neither will work for what you want anyway. You want a microcontroller that has native USB support, and can emulate a USB keyboard easily. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with bit-banging software USB hacks, which aren't very fun to fiddle with imo, and may not work at all.

If you're really new to this, you might be better off getting slightly more expensive (but still super cheap) Arduino clones. That way you can take advantage of the huge pool of resources you have online to help you along the way. The Arduino Due is probably overkill, and a tad more expensive, but will probably be the easiest for you to use.

Lastly, it might also be worth checking out alternatives to the Ducky that do the same thing. I'm sure cheaper option exist somewhere. Assuming you don't mind giving up a good DIY project that is.

Good luck.

On second examination, it seems the digispark does have native USB support. I became suspicious once I noticed that there didn't seem to be a USB->Serial chip on board.