Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mic preamp

Hi,
i have a dynamic mic and i connect this mic to my pc's mic in port.but there is some latency in my sound card.(15ms in and 60 ms out). so i am in search of a circuit of a mic pre and headphone amp(with gain control and tone control) . i'm attaching the image of this idea. plz help me.
vinod k.c.

Attachments

• mic.jpg
    mic.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 448
Hi,
i have a dynamic mic and i connect this mic to my pc's mic in port.but there is some latency in my sound card.(15ms in and 60 ms out). so i am in search of a circuit of a mic pre and headphone amp(with gain control and tone control) . i'm attaching the image of this idea. plz help me.
vinod k.c.

The latency is caused by the drivers controlling your sound card. If you build a pre-amp and haedphone amp, and you use it with the PC, all you will do is improve the sound quality, but the latency will remain.

You have far more latency on output than input, which is unusual, and suggests you're using either Windows 7 or Vista with the software mixer and DSP enabled using the default Microsoft drivers (probably AC97 or similar). You need to obtain the proper drivers for your sound card, as this will reduce your latency to a much more managable level, usually around 5-10 mS on input and output.

The latency is caused by the drivers controlling your sound card. If you build a pre-amp and haedphone amp, and you use it with the PC, all you will do is improve the sound quality, but the latency will remain.

You have far more latency on output than input, which is unusual, and suggests you're using either Windows 7 or Vista with the software mixer and DSP enabled using the default Microsoft drivers (probably AC97 or similar). You need to obtain the proper drivers for your sound card, as this will reduce your latency to a much more managable level, usually around 5-10 mS on input and output.
first of all thanks magicmatt,
you are right. that's my driver problem. my soundcard is realtek hd audio. 1 week ago when i'm using xp, i installed Asio4ALL and it gave me a latency of 4ms in and out. but now i am using win7 and this Asio4ALL won't make any sound. that's why i'm going to monitor the voice from mic with an external device.
vinod

but now i am using win7 and this Asio4ALL won't make any sound

My desktop PC has a RealTek sound card. You probably need to download the drivers from the motherboard vendors website. Replace the default drivers with those and you should be able to use hardware monitoring rather than software, which will have no latency at all.

As for the other, try searching online for a device called the "Headbanger headphone amp", I use one with my Minidisc to drive a pair of large headphones, and it has enough gain to plug a mic in and get a good volume. I built it about 10 years ago and it still works great, so I highly recommend it, plus it was dirt cheap to make and the sound is superb.