Maker Pro
Maker Pro

"Medical" watch with SOS function without phone. About 10-20m range (2-3 concrete walls)

Hi and hello, as it's my 1st post here ;) I hope it's good section to post this.

What are my options if I need a watch with sort of SOS function without the need for smartphone? What I have in mind is just a regular-looking watch but if you push a button rapidly than it sends signal to base station which informs of the event.

It must have a range of about 10-20m (passing 2-3 concrete walls). 10m would be enough if I place receiving station in the middle location but it would be pain in the ass as I'd be forced to use batteries for power and have to rely on base-station's functions (which could be extremely limiting). 20m and being able to connect station to USB in Raspberry Pi (RPi 2 I beleve) would be perfect as I was thinking about connecting one to local web for another purpose.

I want this watch to be offline (no need for smartphones etc).
Is there an easy solution or should I sadly post this in Twilight Zone section?

Long battery life sounds good.
If there would be something like HR monitor inside watch itself that I could copy data from using USB (and nothing else!) it would be a nice addition but it's not necessary.

If it happens to be fully open source so I can be sure it's not collecting data for any company and API allowing for advanced usage with RPi it would be truly incredible but I sadly guess in today's world it falls into Twilight Zone category unless I build everything from a scratch myself - not to mention it would take months at best and probably would be very bulky.

Greetings :)

Last edited:
I looked at two things about a year ago that might be of interest.
One was an alert system for a lone worker in a basement tunnel area. They preferred out by cellular so that it could have multiple numbers to call if one failed.There were multiple offerings here with low-power wristband + cellular-enabled relay station. Not sure they disclosed what the wrist comms was. Search with words round this theme.
The other was for alerts when a staff member went missing. They preferred bluetooth. Alibaba, Aliexpress showed multiple conmpanies offering cvarious monitors, from presense, presense + panic, thru to simple vitals monitoring. Again out to a hub that was BLE or ethernet, or probably other options. This application could bare installs of multiple hubs to get round range problems and fill in blank spots.
BLE might not have the range you want indoors.
Have not come across an open solution, but multiple of the alibaba vendors offer SDks to let you run extra on the wrist bands and customise services.
Hope it helps