Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mechanically latched solenoid?

New around here. Pretty ignorant to circuits and motors in general.

My goal is to engage / disengage the plunger of a solenoid with the push of a single button with no current draw in between states.

I think the simplest way to do this is with a solenoid that holds its state after the application of a voltage without the need to reverse polarity. Voltage applied (momentary) = open state. Voltage applied (momentary) again = closed state.

Thus, I am looking for a latching solenoid that can change its state with the application of same polarity voltage.

I have seen many solenoids that hold their state with a permanent magnet, but it seems they all require reversal of polarity to change state. I think it would be simple enough to have a reverse polarity solenoid achieve the end goal with a rocker switch, or with some complicated circuitry and a push button, but I am trying to simplify this as much as possible.

Any specific solenoids you are aware of that can achieve my goal? Thanks for your help.

The solenoid needs to be relatively small. It needs to function to actuate a rod at least 5 mm to couple two discs, sort of like a clutch. The rod is pushed through a hole that lines up between two discs so they will spin together when one disc is driven by a shaft.

I may also further develop the system for the solenoid to be the actuation mechanism for a jaw clutch.

Strangely (or not) I've just decommissioned an electronic cat flap(!) and it has two small latching solenoids that are used to set the physical in/out movement catches. If you;re UK-based I could drop them in the post to you?