Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Machine digital readout

I have a milling machine with a 2 axis Sargon DRO.
The display is acting up. When I turn the display on, it suposes to show 0.0000 in both row of LED's. Instead I'm getting random readings or not display at all. Sometimes if I push the clear key and turn it on at the same time it will display correctly. If I get the start up step right the system will work fine.So I know for sure it is not a power supply issue.
The system basically has two reading scales (x and Y axis) where a cursor with four optical (IR diodes??) elements ride on a glass scale with lines and this is how I believe it senses the displacement. There is a Z80 processor on the board and a bunch of other Ic's.
The system was built in 1988. I read that the problem can be related to the backup battery.
The battery in this case is integrated with a ram or sram memory in the same chip. The chip is a M48Z12. What I need to know is if I replace the chip with a new one is there a risk of loosing data that resides in it?. I don't even know if this is the type of IC that will hold data when power is off. This DRO will save some measurements in the memory if you choose. I don't care if I loose that.
Please help. Thank you.