Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking to commission a circuit engineer.

Hello all,

I've been doing a bit of searching for the last few months for some assistance with a project that I'd like to get off the ground.

I belong to a large community of movie prop builders and there is a great demand for a better solution for installing sound effects in our props.

There are some options available but most are very cumbersome and really not ideal for most applications. For instance most effects chips that are currently available require between 3-6V but most power supplies that are being utilized are 12V so a step-down is required.

Another big hindrance is low storage space resulting in poor sound quality. That, coupled with no real source for an ideal speaker system leaves much to be desired.

In a nutshell, what I'm looking for is an all-in-one, amplified sound effects board. It should have:

-between 12-20 sound banks (individually switched)
-Utilize MP3/WMA compression to retain sound quality.
-Run on 12V (no step-up/step-down transformers)
-dual channel (2-16 ohm output, pushing between 10-40 watts)
-256 to 1024 MB of storage space (perhaps a micro-SD port instead of on-board storage)
-remote volume control via toggle switch or potentiometer
-retain a small size to fit inside props/projects
-3.5mm AUX input

I can get into more specifics but that should provide a general starting point. I am also looking for someone who would be willing to produce and sell these kits on a regular basis, the demand is high and steady.

If any of you feel up to the challenge or if you're curious to know more feel free to reply here or message me.

Thanks,

Vincent

Last edited:
Ah yes, good point, sorry about that :D

There is a bit of flexibility depending on the various prop applications but I'd say about 6" to 7" squared for the entire PCB design would be ideal. Smaller would obviously be better though.

It could also be made on multiple smaller boards, if for instance, the amplifier portion can be sourced rather than implemented into the design.

I should also mention that the most common power sources are CCTV or power tool batteries. Theyr'e typically around 6800 mAH give or take.

The ones I personally use are:
Lithium-ion Battery 12V 9800mA
MF92.jpg

* Module:T-1298A
* In-put:12.6VDC
* Out-put:12.6-10.8V
* Capacity :9800mAH

Last edited:
Vincent,

I hate to say it, but unless you're willing to fork over a lot of bucks, like maybe $10K to have the first one designed, you're probably not going to get much help. What you're asking for is not a cheap and easy, throw together device from off-the-shelf parts...especially when you keep emphasizing "small", 10-40W, high sound quality, and audio large storage.

Ken

Under regular circumstances, if I were looking for someone to scratch build the design then yes I could completely see it becoming that costly. But there are already solutions available for almost all the things that I seek.

What I'm looking for is someone who's willing to spend a little time with me taking the individual aspects of existing circuits and integrating them. The only thing that really needs to be sourced is the new sound bank with the new voltage requirements. All the rest can basically be reverse engineered from a number of circuits which I already typically possess and use.

I have a decent knowledge of digital electronics as I was an Electronics technician in the Navy for 6 years and I work in a similar field now. My weakness is designing/bench testing circuits, I'm much better at troubleshooting/repairing existing circuits. I also haven't attempted to etch a PCB yet, that is one of the areas of this where I'm looking for assistance.

There's got to be a hobbyist out there that's up to the challenge. I'm not looking for any claim to the design, I simply want to see it become readily available. Whomever I find to complete this can sell the kits freely on their own. I'm just trying to address an existing demand for a simpler solution to what we currently use.

As an aside, don't get hung up in the 12V only supply. That will be good for getting the needed audio power out, but almost all the other stuff will like likely require either 3.3v or 5.0 v. A switch mode DC-DC down converter will efficiently drop the 12v down to the level required by the storage and control circuitry.

Good look!

Ken